Food Memories- Prince Pücklers

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Price Puckler's Pistachio Almond ice creamSweets and I have been indulging our ice cream tendencies lately. From sharing containers of chocolatey Ben & Jerry’s, to sampling our local made vegan ice creams, our taste buds are happy.

Price Puckler's Pistachio Almond ice creamWe happen to live in a mini culinary hot zone that gives us access to some great food items. On my way into work I pass through an intersection that houses a Vietnamiese restuarant, a bakery, a brew pub, an Italian Restaurant and last but not least Prince Pücklers, our local ice cream shop.

With my most recent trip to Prince Pücklers, I bought handpacked containers of ice cream: one pack smooth with Mandarin Chocolate and French Roast, the other chunky with Banana Brownie and Pistachio Almond. Upon rushing these goodies home, I took a spoonful off of the top of the chunky container, a bright green sampling of Pistachio Almond. Before popping it in my mouth I noticed that there were dark green flecks in the mixture- that almost looked like threads of pineapple. Curious I slipped the spoon into my mouth and before I knew it, my mind was whisked off to a childhood summer afternoon, with a bowl of Mom’s pistachio marshmallow salad! Do you know the stuff? With nuts, pineapple, marshmallows in a base of pistachio pudding? This memory flashback was such a pleasant surprise, I’m still smiling over it!

Prince Pücklers holds many ice cream favorites-

I get a kick out of how they organize their flavors within the case in zones. From right to left:

Summer nights in Eugene, you can find a crowd of like-minded ice cream compatriots, often in a line that shots out the door. All of us seeking that cool lick of creamy childhood memories.

Prince Pücklers Ice Cream
1605 E 19th Ave
Eugene, OR 97403
(541) 344-4418

posted March 24th, 2006 at 6:08 am

I totally love the colour of that ice cream. I’m completely jealous of you that you’ve got such a great sounding ice cream parlour. We don’t have a lot of those here in the UK especially ones with such interesting and imaginative flavours.

posted March 24th, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Oh, I love Prince Pucklers – I couldn’t even tell you my favorite, but I can tell you that I’m going to be going there soon and trying the mandarin chocolate (YUM!). Good to see you this morning :) and no, we’re actually headed to Hawaii. Crazy! I’m just trying to think of it as some much needed sunshine and a brand new culinary adventure!

posted March 28th, 2006 at 11:16 pm

ohmygosh… how could I have fogotten Prince Pucklers?!?! It’s been a while, but if memory serves the one that USED to be on 13th near the university was open all night during dead week and finals. Tiger Stripe was a definite addiction.

Glad I found your space in the blog world, and thanks for bringing back neat memories. I’ll be back!

posted March 29th, 2006 at 9:33 am

Mandarin Orange? Wow, that sounds amazing. I’m thinking PP must be added as a stop to my next Oregon trip.

Gorgeous photos. The blood oranges and the ricotta fritters are beautiful.

- Tea
posted March 31st, 2006 at 10:30 am

I love their Chai Tea & Green Tea the best. I have made both at home also- yummy!

• yeah, the green tea is the best. I love how drinking the tea reminds me of the ice cream (instead of vice versa)!

- blu
posted July 2nd, 2006 at 6:29 am

[...] And I’m making good progress on my Eugene To-Do list. I’ve been to the Bijou, the Saturday Market, Cornucopia (the garden burgers are some of the best I’ve ever had!), Sundance for a few groceries, Hendrick’s Park for a jog, and Prince Puckler’s twice already (it’s just down the street from me). [...]

posted July 12th, 2006 at 8:53 pm

[...] Oooooo just had a pint of Prince Pücklers ice cream that was half pistachio almond, and half strawberry. It was a perfect pairing! [...]

posted January 28th, 2007 at 6:14 pm

that ice cream was delicious

- mar-e-o & kay-tee
posted March 26th, 2007 at 3:18 pm

PP is the best that’s happened to ice-cream since the Romans invented milk. Even that Swedish connoisseur Par Villner would go down on his knees and pray for an expansion of business to Sweden should he be given a chance to try it, I’m sure.

Prince Pückler for President!

- Dan A
posted June 12th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I love pistachio pudding & pistachio ice cream
& pecan pie & avocado ice cream try it
dont forget your fruits & veggies sweet fruits are the healthiest deserts apple, orange, banana, cherry, berry, melon

- Chicka
posted September 11th, 2007 at 3:28 pm

The banana ice cream Euphoria chocolate sundae is to die for! Tuesday sundae special tonight for dinner…

- Misty G
posted February 8th, 2008 at 9:53 am

[...] cream substitute I’ll eat.  It also boasts some of the best fresh ice cream in the country, Prince Pücklers, milord of the Unnecessary [...]

posted May 5th, 2008 at 9:28 pm

ohmigod…I MISS Prince Pucklers!!! My dad calls me when he’s in Eugene on business so he can tell me he’s having a bite of my favorite: Tiger Stripe…I haven’t been back to Eugene in years, but I might have to drive an extra 1.5 hrs out of my way so I can visit my favorite ice cream shop.

I just tried some Trader Joe’s coffee ice cream that gave me a Prince Puckler’s flashback… I wonder if I can get them to ship a pint out of state…sigh*

- Jennifer