Sweets and I have been indulging our ice cream tendencies lately. From sharing containers of chocolatey Ben & Jerry’s, to sampling our local made vegan ice creams, our taste buds are happy.
We happen to live in a mini culinary hot zone that gives us access to some great food items. On my way into work I pass through an intersection that houses a Vietnamiese restuarant, a bakery, a brew pub, an Italian Restaurant and last but not least Prince Pücklers, our local ice cream shop.
With my most recent trip to Prince Pücklers, I bought handpacked containers of ice cream: one pack smooth with Mandarin Chocolate and French Roast, the other chunky with Banana Brownie and Pistachio Almond. Upon rushing these goodies home, I took a spoonful off of the top of the chunky container, a bright green sampling of Pistachio Almond. Before popping it in my mouth I noticed that there were dark green flecks in the mixture- that almost looked like threads of pineapple. Curious I slipped the spoon into my mouth and before I knew it, my mind was whisked off to a childhood summer afternoon, with a bowl of Mom’s pistachio marshmallow salad! Do you know the stuff? With nuts, pineapple, marshmallows in a base of pistachio pudding? This memory flashback was such a pleasant surprise, I’m still smiling over it!
Prince Pücklers holds many ice cream favorites-
- the dreamy Mandarin Chocolate: milk chocolate and orange
- Green Tea: my introduction to green tea, in a shockingly green shade
- Banana with Brownie Chunks
- Tiger Stripe: coffee ice cream with chocolate covered espresso beans
I get a kick out of how they organize their flavors within the case in zones. From right to left:
- seasonal fruit flavors- like fresh strawberry or marionberry
- chocolates- Mandarin Chocolate, chocolate malted, raspberry truffle…
- assorted- chai, green tea, mints, oreos…
- coffee- from french roast to coffee, smooth, to chunky and swirled
- cheesecake flavored ice creams
- nut intensive flavors- black walnut, praline, butter pecan
Summer nights in Eugene, you can find a crowd of like-minded ice cream compatriots, often in a line that shots out the door. All of us seeking that cool lick of creamy childhood memories.
Prince Pücklers Ice Cream
1605 E 19th Ave
Eugene, OR 97403