What is it?

Friday, March 10, 2006

What is it?
Sam put up a fun post yesterday asking her readers to identify an unnamed vegetable she picked up from a nearby farm. It was a fun new tidbit for me, having never heard of Puntarelle before.
What is it?
Here’s a similar one… what is the plant pictured here? It’s an ingredient I’ve been growing since I picked it up at my farmers market this last summer. Amazingly, its doing quite well, and I don’t even have a green thumb!

posted March 11th, 2006 at 2:25 am

hello! i think this is the thing that i was pondering previously, and which has been collectively decided as being pennywort. it’s used as an herbal remedy, along with its culinary uses.

• nope :)

I’ve never heard of pennywort before! This is an ingredient that I imagine most people have heard of and probably tasted before.

posted March 11th, 2006 at 6:11 pm

Hello McAuliflower,
it be Wasabia japonica / Eutrema japonica
a.k.a Wasabi / Japanese horseradish?

• yep!

- Bron
posted March 14th, 2006 at 9:54 am

Ah! I’m sooo jealous!

I attempted to grow wasabi and failed miserably. The darn things shrivled up and died in under two months. I must really have a brown thumb!

• What you can’t see from the picture is that we have it standing in a pool of mucky looking brown fish water. It seems to like a marshy like condition- so I think a brown thumb would be what it likes ;)

posted March 18th, 2006 at 10:59 pm

I thinkyou need to chnge careers you can make a fortune selling fresh wasabi!

posted March 19th, 2006 at 5:46 am

Er, what do you do with it? Must admit I am wildly ignorant about Japanese food.

• The plant or just wasabi in general?

The root of the plant is what gets used. It is grated into a pulp and used as a spicy condiment. Wasabi has a kick like horseradish- a buzz that goes straight up to your nose. In particular it is heaven when paired with tuna in a gentle smear across the piece of fish. Some people choose to take a dab of wasabi and dissolve it in a small dish of soy sauce to dip thier pieces of fish in.

Here’s epicurious’s listing of recipes that call for wasabi.

Mmm , now I want sushi!

- MM
posted March 20th, 2006 at 11:26 am

Cool!!! Well done on growing it. I thought it had to grow in running water. It’s nice to know that it can be in still water (even if it is fishy water) Do you have anything close to resembling a root that you can harvest yet?

Ever since seeing a photo of real wasabi, I wanted to grow some. But after looking on the internet, I saw that the cost of a starter root was prohibitive. I gave up…

It drives me crazy that people in Japan can stroll to the vegetable market and pick up a handful of the roots.

I’d LOVE to taste wasabi to see how much it differs from the horseradish substitute we have here in North America.

-Elizabeth