Carbonated Ice Cream Experiments

Thursday, March 9, 2006

My work in the lab gives me great access to many tools that are screaming hot with chefs these days. Liquid Nitrogen, water incubators, and dry ice.

Dry ice has been a friend in making fruit carbonated- which is great quirky stuff to play with. Awhile ago I posted a link to an article about MIT creating a process that makes fluffy carbonated ice cream.

Carbonated Ice CreamHaving a broken ice cream maker gave me some inspiration to find alternative ways to make ice cream. And I just so happened to have a couple of pounds of dry ice to get rid of last week, so here is what I made of it.

Using a stand mixer and a standard vanilla ice cream base for 1 pint, I mixed up the base, and then poured in about 1/4 cup of dry ice. Vapor started pouring out and I immediately started scooping the stuff into a leftovers container and popped it in the freezer. I was a bit paranoid about sampling the product right away as I sure didn’t want to accidentily eat any dry ice! Giving it some freezer time allows it to vaporize away, into the ice cream as the dairy goodness freezes into a solid.

What resulted is an incredible light fluffy ice cream that looks exactly like white bread! I think it has a bit of carbonation to it, but its a little difficult to tell.

The ice cream’s look and texture in my mouth is the most exciting part of this experiment. This kind of falls into a Thomas Keller-esque faux food category.

Fun as it was though, I need to get myself a new ice cream maker!

posted March 10th, 2006 at 5:30 am

Awesome! I have not had dry ice ice cream but I can attest to the liquid Nitrogen variety (fantastic).

From your picture, it really does look like a bread crumb!

posted March 10th, 2006 at 8:10 am

love all your experiments in the lab. go on with your fine self.

posted March 10th, 2006 at 2:03 pm

Cool!

posted March 10th, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Just a bit curious…

What did you use as an ice cream base recipe?

Also, how long did you leave it in the freezer to allow for the dry ice to evaporate?

I’m looking forward to a little experimentation this weekend…

• the ice cream base was really run-of-the-mill vanilla: this recipe from my tea ice cream (without the tea).

Regarding the freezer- my dry ice was in chunks large enough to sink to the bottom of the ice cream mix. With that in mind, I snuck a taste about an hour after putting it in the freezer. Put some of your unused dry ice in a container next to your frozen mixture to show you when it evaporates.

have fun!

posted March 11th, 2006 at 12:37 pm

What form was the dry ice in? A lump? Crushed?

• Good question- I added it in small chunks, about thumb sized.

posted March 11th, 2006 at 12:40 pm

That’s a great idea! I’ve made ice cream with liquid nitrogen, but not with dry ice. Yet. Now I want to try.

posted March 16th, 2006 at 5:33 am

Where have you been all my life!

I like to dabble in molecular gastronomy, and I recently saw that Homaro Cantu, the chef at Moto in Chicago, has carbonated fruit on his menu. The minute I saw it, I wanted to do it. Thanks to this post and, of course, your carbonated fruit post I can.

This is my first time on your blog, and it’s fantastic.

• Excellent!

I admit- ever since this ice cream experiement, I’ve been fantisizing about freezing slices in liquid nitrogen and spreading them with peanut butter and jelly… or hard freezing cubes of it and then caramelizing an outer sugar coating creme brulee style for fake croutons that melt in your mouth!

I’ll make sure to check in and see how your experiments go,
    thanks!

- rob
posted March 24th, 2006 at 9:24 pm

[...] Brownie Points made carbonated ice cream with dry ice. I’ve made ice cream with liquid nitrogen in a Kitchenaid mixer, but not carbonated ice cream! I have to get my hands on some dry ice, pronto. [...]

posted April 7th, 2006 at 4:19 pm

I just made some ice cream with dry ice and I was wondering how long it takes for the dry ice to sublime? It was in my freezer for awhile with the dry ice in it, and i took it out only to find that there are still chunks of dry ice in there and that there is no gas coming out. Will it sublime? Also, do you know where i would be able to get liquid nitrogen? I want to try and make the liquid nitrogen ice cream.

• Yes- dry ice will still sublime… As for how long in your conditions, with your dry ice hunk size, I don’t know. One way to be able to tell how long till it dissapears is to place a container with some chunks of dry ice the same size that you used in your ice cream in the freezer and observe.

Regarding liquid nitrogen ice cream, I have several comments in my carbonated fruit post that go into where to get liquid nitrogen.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your results!

- Sam
posted July 1st, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Hi,

Interesting, but the hard way to make carbonated ice cream. It’s been done in the South for over 30 years that I know.

Semper Fi,

Tom

• Care to elaborate Tom?

- Tom
posted January 9th, 2007 at 6:05 am

hey, i’m interested in making carbonated ice cream. so did you just but dry ice into melted ice cream? how do you pour dry ice, i thought it was a solid.

sorry, still a little amaturish.

hope you can help some more. thx!

joe

Hi Joe,
Nothing wrong with being an amateur- that’s what I am too.

I did it exactly as outlined in the post: I added small chunks of dry ice to a favorite ice cream base.
If you are interested, I suggest you get yourself some dry ice. I have safety tips for handling dry ice outlined here on my carbonated fruit post.

Good luck!

- joe
posted September 26th, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Hi!

This is, so far, one of the easiest and yummiest ice cream recipes I’ve seen. It’s got two of the things I like the most: experimentation and ice cream.

I have a couple of questions about carbonation with dry ice I’d like to ask you. I’m new to all this, but I’ve got some ideas. Would you seriously mind e-mailing me or sharing a mail where I can reach you?

Take care of yourself.

Keep on transmogrifyin’

Cyanide Boy

sure thing! Email sent.

posted April 1st, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Hey! I love this idea of dry ice and ice cream! I have a few questions though..

How did it taste? And how much dry ice I would need to use to feed around twenty people for a school presentation?

(Before, I was concidering making liquid nitrogen ice cream, but it was way more expensive to create with the price of the dewar.)

Hi Tiffany
I recommend that you do a practice round to see what amounts of dry ice work for you. That way you’ll also get to taste it to. Make sure to keep in mind that you in no way want to eat the dry ice as it will give horrible burns.

- Tiffany
posted August 3rd, 2009 at 11:00 am

Maybe if you are super adventurius, somehow make ice cream mix
then cool it until allmost frozen

and then go outside and take butane lighter refil thingys
and put nozzle inside and press(butane gets really cold when it evporates)
you might go throug a couple?
probably a fan so you dont sufficate?

never tried it, but may be cool
dont smoke near this thing?

maybe butane bubles
for magic trick
eat some ice cream, make flamethrower or just set some ice cream on fire

someone try it and get back :)

and does carbonated ice cream taste like soda carbondated
becase that doesnt seem good tasting
if it was mildy carbonated, then it wouldnt be bad, a good alternitive to ln

sorry my spelling
they keyboard has crud under it, and im to lazy to use spell check

- f
posted February 6th, 2010 at 10:04 am

Keep up the great posts!