Chewy Brownie Bites

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Brownie BitesMy recent delivery of Lovescool’s Valentine’s Day Champagne Brownies gave me the inspiration to make little bite sized brownies. Her chocolate delivery was so charming and tasty and bite sized. A week after finishing them off, I’m still thinking of them and realizing that they addressed a fundamental rule that I have forgotten to apply to brownies- small is cuter!

The recipe used for these brownies is an epicurious one that I made with my first bar of Green & Black organic chocolate. These turned out fantastic for lovers of the chewy brownie. Every mini brownie bite, when cooked individually like this, is essentially a corner piece from the baking pan- my favorite kind!

Another bonus to making brownie bites like this in muffin pans is that you can individualize the brownies add-ons per brownie. Some can have nuts just as easily as they can be straight up chocolate.

Chewy Brownie Bites

Brownie Bites
This recipe uses a classic unsweetened chocolate based brownie recipe from epicurious. The only changes are more added vanilla and a change in add-ons and baking time/temp.

preheat the oven to 350F.

On the stove top melt 1 cup of butter (two sticks) with 6 oz of chopped unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 tsp of salt. When completely melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a mixer combine 2 cups of sugar with four eggs till well combined and fluffy. Beat in 1 Tbs of vanilla and add the cooled chocolate butter mixture. Finally fold in 1/2 cup of flour into the batter.

Spray the wells of a mini-muffin pan with nonstick spray or use mini cupcake liners. Fill each well 3/4 of the way and push on individual add-ons as desired (nuts, candied fruit, colored sprinkles).

Cook the mini muffin pan for 25 minutes for chewy brownie bites. If using a regular sized muffin pan cook for 30-35 minutes.

Pop out and enjoy!

posted February 28th, 2006 at 3:34 pm

Oh yum! What did you put in those? I love chewy brownies with extras thrown in.

• Oh yeah… didn’t include that! I did:
    - walnuts with bourbon brushed on top of the cooked brownies.
    - ones with candied orange peel shoved into the batter.
    - some dipped in pomegranate juice right after baking.
    - some with pistachio and cherry mixed into the cup of batter.

I’ll all about the bits mixed in!

posted March 1st, 2006 at 7:38 am

Great mixings. I want some!

posted March 2nd, 2006 at 3:09 am

Green & Black chocolate is amazing, isn’t it?? I just picked up a few bars of the dark chocolate with crystallized ginger and I’m enchanted with it.

• I took a nibble of the bar before melting it and was really surprised by the flavors- it was very green tasting, like young plants. I’m thinking about getting my next bar!

posted December 1st, 2006 at 10:18 am

I love your site and I just made this wonderful recipe! All I can say is “yummy”! Would you mind if I put the recipe on my website, copying exactly as you have it and giving your site credit? I took my own picture of the brownie bites that I made so I wouldn’t copy your picture. My site is non-profit (and very “amateurish”) and is, basically, just recipes and pictures of the finished products that I have tried. I share it with friends, family, and a recipe board that I frequent. Just let me know and thanks for the great recipe! It’s a keeper:)

reposting with attribution is great Carolinacooker- thanks for asking!

posted December 2nd, 2006 at 2:29 am

Thanks so much!

- Carolinacooker
posted December 2nd, 2006 at 3:29 am

Here is the link to your great recipe on my site:

- Carolinacooker
posted June 18th, 2008 at 1:13 am

I love to mix it up by putting a marshmellow in some cups, a small york peppermint patty in some, and a rollo in an other. When you eat them warm it’s very good. I also like to swirl in jam (cherry makes a great black forrest) with a brownie and topped with a chocolate coverd cherry.

- Cecilia
posted November 13th, 2009 at 11:34 am

I’m not much of an organic kind of guy but I’ll have to go around with these one’s. For some reason these sound tasty, so this weekend it’s round one!

- dave