Tomatoes Are Evil

Monday, February 20, 2006

no tomatoesHate is a strong word. I don’t hate tomatoes… I just hate how they feel in my mouth. And I hate the green acidic twang they add when accidentily left in my burrito. And I hate how silly I feel ordering Mexican food minus tomatoes and then having my order arrive with tomatoes.

no tomatoesBut wait, tomato! Don’t go… this doesn’t mean that you can’t hang around here! I mean, we can work something out. You can wear disguises, get a tan, do some contortionist yoga… I’ll let you tag along.

Please don’t hate me for being a hater. Or for wearing shirts proclaiming your evilness

posted February 20th, 2006 at 6:55 pm

I know you write in English, but I cannot comprehend the meaning these words in sequence: tomatoes are evil.

Surely there is a 12-step program for such a malady?

I’m stricken on behalf of the tomatoes, dear. It’s like saying “Breasts are evil”!

The Original Juicy Fruit!

: D

- Tana
posted February 20th, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Whoa now! Let’s not be hasty here, Tana! If by chance someone had blighted the lovely family of Melon fruits, I could understand your comparison.

It is widely known that Tomatoes are evil, being a member of the nightshade family, a family known for their general toxicity! Like the tobacco leaf, their rebel cousin, they have an addictive substance in them (related to nicotine) that makes you crave them fortnightly… hmm, so maybe they are not that unlike breasts after all. ;)

posted February 21st, 2006 at 4:23 am

i like tomatoes but i know some people hate them. My son and his godmother are two such people. And my son says that exactly, he can’t stand the way they feel in his mouth. But sauces are okay as long as he can’t see the tomatoes.
So you are not alone :)

posted February 21st, 2006 at 7:46 am

I don’t like tomatoes either and try to avoid them at all costs. I have been known to pile them up on my plate after eating Greek salad to the chagrin of my family who, by the way, are all tomato-lovers.

- Jen
posted February 22nd, 2006 at 9:50 am

I would be happy to take care of any tomatoes that may stray across your path.

• duly noted! :)

posted February 22nd, 2006 at 7:38 pm

What?
I am so dumbfounded.
I mean, I know it’s OK not to like some foods. I’m funny about scallops, basil, mussels, cooked green bell peppers…
But the lovely tomato?
Wow.
(Suggestion: If the mouthfeel is icky, it’s probably an icky tomato… Try again!)
But, then. I’m a tomato ranchin’ bum.

posted February 23rd, 2006 at 8:14 am

Bad tomatoes are the worst, which is usually the case as tomatoes are only in season for a very short part of the year. However a good tomato rocks I can bear testament after trying some in Sicily!!

posted July 20th, 2006 at 3:24 pm

[...] We also got to supply a recipe to be featured within the restaurant listings. I chose the all consuming marshmallow- specifically the Spicy Hot Cinnamon Marshmallows, over at Ready Made. Michelle provided lentil enchiladas with amazingly fragrant salsa. That salsa would have made me forget about the tomatoes! – McAuliflower | (Permalink) [...]

posted February 20th, 2007 at 12:49 pm

lol i like u guys,evil tomates lol also rofl W.A.F.F.L.E =[) =)

posted April 20th, 2007 at 11:13 am

I love salsa (eating some right now!). I love ketchup. I love Spaghetti sauce. I appreciate to some degree the sun-dried tomato.

but i can’t put a chunk of raw tomato into my mouth and swallow to save my life. Maybe it’s the texture. maybe its the flavor. maybe it’s the smell. maybe, just maybe, it’s all three.

i don’t know. but i sure can’t do it…can’t eat them raw.

- ben
posted August 1st, 2007 at 6:49 pm

[...] you can imagine my shock and surprise to discover that there are people who HATE tomatoes. Yes, they hate tomatoes. I’ll write it slower so everyone can read it. There are people who [...]

posted August 31st, 2007 at 3:27 pm

If you hate tomatoes because they are from the nightshade family of plants, do you eat potatoes? they are also from the nightshade family of plants. Just curious. I currently have 17 tomato plants growing in my backyard. Evil they aint.

- Jan