Apple Spice Pancakes with Pomegranate Syrup

Saturday, February 18, 2006

apple spice pancakes on a sunny dayLast night I went to bed hungry and dreaming of apple spice pancakes. I loved how well my apple spice muffins turned out and wondered about using a similar apple technique of grating the fruit into pancake batter.

Waking up this morning to windows streaming in cold winter sun, I set about to looking up recipes and found this easy peasy one on about.com. Sure enough, just grate apples into your spiced up batter! This recipe is lowfat too.

Even better, this recipe lists an accompanying apple cider syrup recipe too. However, only after I measured out my ingredients into the saucepan did I realize I don’t have apple cider-opps. Substituting in the only fruit juice I have, pomegranate juice, made a wonderful variation: spiced pomegranate pancake syrup, that goes wonderfully with these pancakes.

Happy discoveries and a bright shiny breakfast…

Apple Spice Pancakes with Pomegranate Syrup

pomegranate pancake syrup
Pomegranate Syrup
In a saucepan, mix together:

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • pinch of salt

Pour in 1 cup of pomegranate juice and whisk over heat till the mixture comes to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute then remove from the heat and add: 1 Tbs butter and 1 Tbs lemon juice.

Apple Spice Pancakesapple spice pancakes on a sunny day

This recipe is based on dry pancake mix. I like having a batch of Alton Brown’s Pancake Mix around. My last bulk batch of it I made also has 5 vanilla bean pods ground up and added- a flavor addition I highly recommend. The ground up whole beans add color to the resulting batter, making your pancakes look like they are buckwheat based. However, during long term storage of the vanilla’ed pancake mix, the beans have a bit of moisture that is released into the mix and causes it to clump slightly. Just sift out your mix into your mixing bowl and break up the clumps when measuring for recipes.

In a bowl combine

In a measuring cup whisk together 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1 whole egg.

Pour this whisked mixture into the pancake mix and stir together for only 5-8 seconds. Grate in one large apple, enough to yield 3/4 cup of shredded apple, and briefly stir. Let the mixture sit while you heat up your pan.

Now’s a good time to size up your batter consistency. I found I had to add more milk to the batter to give it a slight bit of run, to help it spread when added to a hot pan. Gently laddle in pancake batter to your hot skillet or griddle pan and cook pancakes on one side till bubbles form and break open. Flip and cook just 1 minute more.

Garnish with pomegrate syrup, and sliced apples and toasted walnuts for extra credit. Enjoy!

posted February 18th, 2006 at 3:45 pm

hi McAuliflower! someone told me about your blog. i’m a fellow foodblogger living in Eugene (though mine is not nearly as well kept up as yours, but, alas, such is life). anyways, just wanted to say hi! great blog! what fun!

• Hi eliz! It’s great to add another Eugene food blogger to my brain! We definitely have a fertile enough ground for foodies here!

–mcAuliflower

- eliz
posted February 18th, 2006 at 4:56 pm

I love all your pomegranate recipes and your blog. I’ve been rather fascinated by pomegranate molasses for a while and can’t seem to find it where I am. Is it anything like your pomegranate syrup?

• pomegranate molassesNo- pomegranate molasses is… leaving to pop it open: a thick soy colored sauce. It’s a deep set of flavor notes, very tangy at first, similar to prunes, and raisins, but with a fruity almost floral top flavor that lightens it up. It’s also very similar to tamarind paste though maybe a bit sweeter. In contrast, the pomegranate syrup in the above recipe is very light and cherry like in its flavor. Due to the added spices in the syrup, it smells and tastes like pie!

I bought my pomegranate molasses at a local asian food-stuff market. It’s from Beirut and labeled as “pure pomegranate molasses”. I’d try digging around online for vendors. If I find anything I’ll update this comment with a link to it.

- MM
posted February 18th, 2006 at 5:37 pm

McAuliflower,

Those look incredible! And the pomegranate sauce is an excellent touch! I can’t imagine a better way to to start a cold winter’s day!

posted February 20th, 2006 at 12:10 am

Ah, thanks so much for the clarification. Hmmm … I think I rather make your syrup then.

- MM
posted February 20th, 2006 at 1:30 pm

I tried this recipe this morning! It was so good!

The juice from the apples (I used Granny Smith) are enough to thin out the batter I think.

The pomegranate syrup was perfect. It wasn’t sickeningly sweet at all and complemented the apple pancakes perfectly.

• Thanks for the feedback Christina!

- Christina
posted February 22nd, 2006 at 5:23 pm

Vanilla bean infused pancake batter? Fantastic. How long do you think the vanilla beans need to infuse for, at the very least? Because this sounds perfect for Sunday morning…. :)

• If you stick the whole beans in a spice grinder with some of your flour, you can have instant vanilla pancakes. Another way would be to scrap out the seeds only of a vanilla bean into your butter for the pancake batter, and then melt the two together for a couple of minutes.

I’ve had my bulk container of vanilla pancake mix for about 5 months. This batch has ground up whole beans in it.

- Nina