Tip: Drinking More Water

Saturday, February 4, 2006

iced tea assortmentI think I finally get it: what all the Southern fuss about iced tea is. When you’re busy trying to be healthy and drinking over 8 glasses of water a day, one gets a bit tired of water.  I still don’t subscribe to sweetened iced teas, but I have found a close relative…
Eugene’s downtown grocery store, the Kiva, carries a brand of refreshing bottled nonsweetened Teas’ Teas in a number of tea varieties. I ran across these last night when looking for a drink to grab to take with me to the Jacobs Gallery.  I’m a bit embarrassed to mention that I only noticed the teas because I am tired of throwing back water.
I sampled the Golden Oolong last night and am now trying the Green White variety. The Golden Oolong is a nice light roasted flavor, reminiscent of toasted rice or corn.

The Green White is lighter in flavor, smooth, and almost sweet floral tasting with its hint of green tea peaking through.

These iced teas have 100% RDA calcium C, and on average, 50 mgs caffiene per 500ml of tea. I’m pleasantly surprised at how refreshing these teas are. The website lists a number of other flavor and tea varieties including green tea blends of lemongrass, rose, and jasmine.

This taste bud wake up also serves as a good reminder to make my own iced teas!

posted February 4th, 2006 at 4:32 pm

since it is rather hard for me to drink the recommended glasses of water a day, i’ve been drinking more and more tea. i’m currently addicted to the itoen green jasmine. yummy! i love the inko’s white tea drinks, too.

• Mmm I’ll look into trying the jasmine!
  • –McAuliflower
posted February 4th, 2006 at 4:56 pm

my solution is to drink hot water from a flask.
people think i am very strange but it works for me.
I have been a hot-water-drinker for over 20 years and in a restaurant I can’t have water (or any drink) with ice in it.
Nothing below room temperature.

• My mom does this (the hot water habit) on occassion too.  It started when we first moved to Oregon (from Arizona) as a way to keep warm.  I remember when Deepak Chopra first hit the scene with his book on body types (Vatta, Pitta, and the Santa Maria)… he had a bit in there about always drinking water warm or hot- never cold.
  • I think as I get older, and my teeth more sensitive, I just may be adopting this route more!
  • –McAuliflower
- sam
posted February 5th, 2006 at 3:43 pm

Those look interesting. For some reason, though, I’m not ever interested in iced tea during the winter (though I’ll drink iced sodas or cold Crystal Light). It’s like a summer thing, I guess, to break out the sun tea jar when we start getting more sun to “cook” it. Then I drink gallons of it. I wonder if they have those teas somewhere here in socal.

• I understand that. I do a similar thing with drinking mochas- its a cold weather thing!

posted February 6th, 2006 at 5:27 am

I chug water (room temperature only, please) with abandon in the summer. Like you, it pretty much comes to a halt in the winter.

Unfortunately, I don’t seem to like tea, hot or iced. I love the idea of teas, and even the fragrance, but drinking a cuppa doesn’t get my jolly on. Even so, I try it again once every month or so, and the Teas’ Teas look like a safe bet.

posted February 6th, 2006 at 10:24 pm

When I was in Japan, everyone’s sipping green tea (unsweetened) from bottles all day long. In one short week, I became addicted too! Green tea is very high in anti-oxidants…no wonder the Japanese are so peppy & healthy.

No one knows where the mantra “8 glass of water per day” came from. Personally, I can’t imagine anyone drinking that much water. Many experts agree that that number is rather arbitrary and you should drink when you’re thirsty; that’s your body’s way of tell you to drink something. (Like when you want chocolate, that’s your body’s way of telling you, um, er….well, something!)

• I’ve really tried to maintain 8 glasses or more (fear of recurring kidney stones and all) and have found some good rules…
    • no drinking after 7:30pm (hello nature’s alarm clock!)
    • no more than 8oz in 20 minutes (yoda voice: conduit for water you are, Mmmm?)

I do agree- drink when you’re thirsty is the biggest.
    Eat chocolate to remind you to be happy? (Can’t help but think of Harry Potter and Death Eaters…)

I’m going to go brew some tea for tomorrow.

posted February 8th, 2006 at 8:59 pm

Mmmm. Ito-En’s teas are the only bottled iced tea I will drink. I like all of them, especially the toasted rice genmaicha and the oolong. They also sell great loose leaf tea.

• I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the toasty flavors in the oolong. I’d like to try the rice genmaicha next.

posted February 11th, 2006 at 10:28 am

Incidentally, it has not been shown that drinking 8 glasses of water a day is in any way good for you. Hydration is important, but it varies from person to person. The FDA has not such recommendation of the mythical 8 glasses. Urban legend.
Good post though, I love iced tea.

posted February 20th, 2006 at 9:10 am

Wasn’t it Richard Simmons who pushed the warm water and lemon juice substitute for plain old H2O? I suppose a little Splenda would jazz it up a bit without any harm! Great site :-)

- Mr. D
posted October 4th, 2006 at 2:10 am

You can find bagged peppermint herbal tea. It makes the BEST iced tea or after dinner hot tea. YUM! Without caffiene, for those who are sensitive to it.

I like the Jasime Green tea for caffiene.

- Coral
posted November 28th, 2006 at 8:36 pm

I am absolutely infatuated with Green Tea. I recently started drinking 2-3 cups of it everyday. I know that drinking cold water burns calories. Is there any benefit of drinking hot water?

I’m not sure. I remember in one of Deepak Chopra’s books he puts forth that drinking warmed water is better than cold. Maybe that depended on what “type’ you are- vatta, pitta, etc.

Even though it was snowing today- I still had to get my dose of iced tea in. Yum

- Anita