Culinary Confessions

Wednesday, February 1, 2006
I feel guilty being served by black people...

posted February 1st, 2006 at 3:48 pm

Re: fortune cookies, my boyfriend has a rule that you have to have someone else read your fortune before you can eat the cookie… I have an odd affinity for those things, so I’d much rather have it the other way around.
And btw, I tried the lemon white chocolate coating on my blueberry marshmallows… Sooo good! I put up a pic on my page, too.

- Nina
posted February 1st, 2006 at 4:58 pm

I love your blog…it’s funny and you should be famous!

• thanks Marty! Lets hope you and Jenny aren’t cursing me to some horrible news headline! Home cook overdoses on fondue, news at a 11… :)

posted February 1st, 2006 at 5:11 pm

You’re hilarious! I’m with you on the uni. You’ll be famous, I have no doubts.

posted February 1st, 2006 at 8:18 pm

“I eat things after they fall onto the floor (except for in the lab!).”
Too funny!
And yeah we all want to be famous – your time will come.
Great post.

• thanks… I won’t let myself eat things off of the floor though :) a girl’s got to have some standards!

- kara
posted February 1st, 2006 at 9:01 pm

I hear you on the fake crab!

• Oh good. That one is such a silly confession, but true. I feel soo low-brow with the fake crab thing, and I’ve taken to not eating it in public. Last time I was eating salad rolls with K-rab, a woman took it upon herself to tell me about fish that go into making krab that contain worms, blah blah blah… yeah. thanks… now its fake and dirty. Besides, its not fake, its surimi!

posted February 2nd, 2006 at 2:06 pm

You’re hilarious! I share some of your confessions – krab, lab floor fears, and fortune cookie superstitions. I’ve always wanted to try Toshi’s…recommended, then?

• Ooooh yeah. Sweets and I are “Ninniku” (extra garlic) addicts- me shoyu base, he miso based.

posted February 2nd, 2006 at 5:31 pm

Great list! I admire your honesty, and from such, can only conclude that you will be deliciously infamous. ;)

ps- my husband is with you on the leftovers thing. Luckily, his employees eat extremely well.

• He trades his lunch with the other kids at school? :)

posted February 6th, 2006 at 7:22 pm

I read it over and over and still can’t imagine where you’re coming from with that last confession??

• the fortune cookie? I guess it could be seen as more ritual than confession.

The guilty being served by black people was one of the entries to post secret that week that I thought was relevent. This reaction may vary more depending on the part of the US one lives in. Or insert mexican for black…

posted February 7th, 2006 at 8:36 pm

I would encourage you, and everyone else, to re-try food as you continue through life. I’ve found that previous preperations or even just changes in how I enterpret flavors affect what I like.

That said, I still gag at the smell of brussel sprouts…though I still try them from time.

- That guy with the shirt
posted February 7th, 2006 at 8:49 pm

OH, don’t tell me you’ve forgotten jam on custard…with SKIN!!!!

• Oh great- now I remember! Another nun torment to add to the list…

- MoM
posted February 18th, 2006 at 10:49 am

Don’t bother with rhubarb. It’s not worth it, really.

And I never would have suspected you of being a shoyu eater… I’m beginning to think that the Toshi’s menu would be an excellent personality test.

• Oh? What are you?
    Work voted me off the island the other day because of my niniku breath! They even provided me with updates on the changing characteristics of my garlic-ness (mmm that not so fresh garlic feeling…).

- Dave
posted December 22nd, 2006 at 10:06 am

[...] In my sushi lunch yesterday with a fellow motorcycle enthusiast, I decided to try this morsel again. It was Troy’s second time too. He’s the one who gave into an impulsive inspiration and choose uni as a neighbor to his tobiko nigiri. We popped it in our mouths simultaneously, not letting the other back out of this uni pact. The flavor swirled like freshly scooped out brackish tank water, tasting of fish, and ocean, with an intensity I can only stand long enough to swallow quickly. My eyes lighted on one of the many restaurant fish tanks, glass walls collecting green algae, fish not particularly noticeable amid the tank toys. In a moment of flavor esp, I tasted that tank. [...]