Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup

Monday, January 30, 2006

roasted red bell pepper soupEugene has been going through a cold and wet weather snap. Oh that’s right, I almost forgot… that’s called Winter. Weather has reared its head and will no longer tolerate mearly being a part of the background. Our antidote of choice- soup.

Roasted vegatable soups are a nice hand in hand compliment to feelings of hibernation. They simultaneously make you want to leap out into the rain puddles and burrow in deeper under your quilt covers.

Thick, sweet, with a slight tang this soup is a wonderful dish. Basic and simple, non fussy. and quick…

Roasted Bell Pepper Soup

roasted red bell pepper soup

Preheat your oven to 425F.

Assemble in a glass baking dish:

• 4 red bell peppers
  • 1/2 onion cut chunks

Roast the vegatables in the oven till the peppers are charred. Remove fromthe oven and cover to let the vegatables steam 10 minutes.

When cool to handle, peel just the outer plastic like skin off of the peppers. Remove the seeds and stem, placing the peppers, pepper juice and onions in a blender or food processor. Puree smooth adding broth to thin, about 2-3 cups. Season with 1 Tbs vinegar, and salt and pepper.

Pour the pepper mixture in a saucepan and add 1 ounce of shredded parmesan. Gently melt the cheese and serve with garlic rubbed bread toasts.

posted January 30th, 2006 at 10:14 am

You mean it is that easy?!
I am always purchasing this soup in aseptic packaging.

posted January 30th, 2006 at 5:56 pm

Way to0 easy! I know what I’ll be making when the snow hits again.

posted January 30th, 2006 at 9:48 pm

That soup will easily ward off the cold! Delicious and t hanks for sharing!!!

posted January 31st, 2006 at 8:40 am

Sounds yummy and oh so comforting. My throat is just starting to hurt, so I think this will be tonight’s remedy! One question, though … does it matter what kind of broth you use? I have low-sodium chicken broth on hand, but is another kind preferable? What kind did you use?

• Any kind of broth works- vegetable, homemade, low sodium chicken… hope it works on the cold!
  • –McAuliflower
- Jaime
posted January 31st, 2006 at 11:57 am

McAuliflower – wow! This soup sounds fabulous! You’ve been busy making lots of wonderful sounding dishes! For some reason last week I had trouble getting on your site… I’m also glad to know of a local source for tea forte teas – I just bought some up in Bend this last weekend because I didn’t know how to get them here! Did you get to go to the Truffle festival? I wanted to call you and see if you wanted to come with me, but I didn’t have your number – I’ll have to come over there to your side of the building and get it from you!

• thanks Michelle. Yeah, my web hosting service (Textdrive) is not getting a thumbs up from me. We’re probably going to be changing servers this weekend: to a friends at-home service up in Seattle.

Your report on the truffle festival is great! I still haven’t decided what to do with my white truffle nugget… well besides fondle it and huff it :)

I had a really good duck and black truffle soup at Luna’s tonight… sweet, rich, earthy, soup you could eat with a fork!

posted February 1st, 2006 at 6:16 am

Wow, talk about a no-brainer!!

• I’m learning that some of the best things in life are really *that* easy.
  • –McAuliflower

posted February 1st, 2006 at 8:33 am

I know this is very left field (but very me) but I luuurve your bowls! How funky!

• thanks! That is one of my favorites too. Actually its part of a mortar and pestle. Making spikey pieces was one of my favorite ways to add instant style to a piece!
  • –McAuliflower