Nearly Lethal Smores Tart

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

a wedge of smoresI’ve been mentally straddling the line of eating healthier for a good two months now. Sure I have a stock pile of excuses as to why I’m still on the fence. Unfortunatley I’m really enjoying shuffling through these excuses! Getting ready to go monastic in the new year = new you tradition can be like Spring Cleaning. The excitement towards future change builds and is slightly set off kilter when you come across piles of cool stuff you forgot you had- translating to great stuff to eat before you limit yourself!

Marshmallows aren’t entirely out of my system. But pouring a layer of freshly made vanilla honey marshmallow cream onto a ganache tart is a good Bon Voyage I’m willing to accept…

Nearly Lethal Smores Tarts

a wedge of smoresThis tart recipe is staged in several steps to allow you to contemplate your at hand indulgence of sugar before entering the desert void of overly sweet desserts.

The first step of preparation is the creation of a graham cracker crust.

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a bowl combine:

• finely ground graham cracker crumbs 1 1/2 cups
  • white sugar 1/3 cup
  • butter, melted 6 tablespoons

Pat into three mini tart pans or one regular sized tart pan and bake till just golden, about 8 minutes. Remove to cool and place in the refrigerator to chill.

When the pie crust is thoroughly cold, spread a thin layer of your favorite jam or fruit puree and pour on top a 1/2 inch thick layer of warm chocolate ganache, made to set up thick (like truffle consistency). Place layered tarts in the refrigerator to chill.

The next to last layer for consideration is the vanilla honey marshamllow creme, a variation of the previously blogged Strawberry Marshamllows. This recipe batch will make enough creme to top three mini tarts (or one regular sized tart) with enough creme left over to pour into a prepped 8″x8″ baking dish.

Vanilla Honey Marshmallows

print out pdf of vanilla honey marshmallow recipe
Line a 8″x8″ baking dish with parchment paper. Coat the paper with vegetable oil or non-stick spray.

Fit the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. In the mixer bowl combine the ¾ cup of water with the inner scrapings of the vanilla beans, the vanilla bourbon (or 1 Tbs vanilla extract) and salt. Mix briefly to combine and sprinkle the gelatin over to bloom (soften).

Add the sugar, corn syrup, honey, and remaining ½ cup water to a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil with the lid on and without stirring. When this mixture is at a boil, remove the lid and continue to cook without stirring until it reaches the soft-ball stage (234-240 F). With the mixer at full speed, pour all of the hot syrup slowly down the side of the bowl into the awaiting gelatin mixture. Be careful as the syrup is very liquid and hot at this point and some may splash out of the bowl – use a splashguard if you have one. Whip until the mixture is very fluffy and stiff, about 8-10 minutes.

Pour mixture onto your cooled tarts and pour the remainder into the parchment-lined pan and smooth with an oiled offset spatula if necessary. Allow the tart to sit, uncovered at room temp for 10 to 12 hours.

Prep the marshmallow creme poured into the baking pan in the same manner as is normal for marshamllows: allow to sit 10 to 12 hours uncovered at room temperature. Mix equal parts rice flour and confectioners sugar and sift generously over the rested marshmallow slab. Turn the slab out onto a cutting board, peel off paper and dust with more sugar/starch mixture. Slice with a pizza cutter into desired shapes. Dip all cut edges in sugar/starch mixture and shake off excess powder. Marshmallows will keep several weeks at room temp in an air-tight container.

Creation of the final toasted layer happens immediately preceding serving.
To serve the tart, toast the top surface of the tart with a typical propane blow torch (recommended method) or briefly under a hot broiler. Slice into the toasted tart to present small wedges. Alternatively, wedges may be cut, then toasted for a more organic presentation as the marshmallow layer will expand outward as it toasts.

posted January 25th, 2006 at 7:19 am

I can see why you call it nearly leathal! I also bet it would taste a hundred times better than a normal smore.

posted January 25th, 2006 at 5:16 pm

This makes my toes curl in excitement just thinking about it, and contrary to my nickname I am not really big on dessert.

Yumm.

• But we know that s’mores are special unto themselves ;)

posted January 26th, 2006 at 1:06 am

Oh. My. Gawd. OHMYGAWD! Oh Dear. I’m speechless! I haven’t had anything Smores in YEARS – it’s not something that’s done around here – will have to amend that…Thanks for an AWFULLY good looking tart!

• Glad to help :) One sugar buzz at a time…

posted January 27th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

In My world, a smore here and there IS part of a perfectly balanced healthful diet. This looks yummy, thank you.

here here!

• there a smore, here a smore, everywhere a smore smore…

posted January 28th, 2006 at 10:49 am

this is the first time I have ever seen a blog that actually inspired me to comment. I am a smores-a-holic. I prefer them over a campfire but when that is not possible, I have been known to microwave them or eat them “raw”.

I am running to the store now to get the ingredients for this thing!

• Ahhh, I happen to live with a smore-dependent… I understand how these “bliss to need” mood swings work!
    glad to have inspired you

- vtoutback
posted January 30th, 2006 at 9:27 am

[...] this Nearly Lethal Smores Tart is making me drool. does it count as a breakfast food? [...]

posted January 31st, 2006 at 1:38 pm

Going to make these for my Eagle Scout son for his 20th b-day! He is a smore freak! Looks great! He is away at college and will come home for the b-day! He’ll love them!

• That’s great! I really do recommend the blow torch method for toasting- its so much direct hands on fun!

- Sandy
posted February 4th, 2006 at 4:19 pm

So far, making this tart has turned out great. I wish I’d noticed the part about “Allow the tart to sit, uncovered at room temp for 10 to 12 hours” before I started. Oops. Well, it is to be hoped my friends will enjoy it anyhow, gooey marshmallow creme or no! (And if they don’t want it, then more for me!)

• yeah… that timing step is for the marshmallow creme to sit and get less goey.  If it doesn’t sit, then all I imagine that will happen is the top will ooze when  the tart is cut into.
  • Hope your friends like it!
  •  –McAuliflower
posted February 7th, 2006 at 8:10 pm

[...] ~ Recipe for Nearly Lethal Smores tart mention on inthatnumber [...]

posted April 15th, 2006 at 7:21 pm

I made this tart for Easter dinner tomorrow! I’ve made marshmallows over the years with varying success, and never found a recipe that became my favorite one. The honey marshmallows with this recipe intrigued me, so I made up the batch to go with the tart. What was left from the tart is also “setting” overnight but there was plenty of spoon licking! The taste is fabulous and the recipe makes a large batch.

Recipes that have death or lethal in them always get my attention!!! Thank you! I have a new favorite!

Susan

• Thanks for the feedback Susan- glad to see the sugar coma didn’t take you over ;)

- Susan
posted October 29th, 2007 at 7:54 am

thi swebsite rocks

- tierra
posted December 5th, 2007 at 3:44 pm

I love this webaite so much the recipes are so awesome!!!!!!

- Maya
posted February 12th, 2008 at 1:50 pm

This is the most amazing recipe I’ve ever seen.

posted February 17th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

WOW!! Stumbled upon this web-site looking for an Alice Medrich book….now out of print. Found a recipe from her book here and now I am printing out so many other site recipes that my sweet tooth is throbbing waiting to be fed! Love it!

- Suzanne
posted February 17th, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I’m diabetic, it would likely BE leathal to me.

but I’d die happy.

- bear
posted March 7th, 2008 at 10:47 am

I was looking for a smores pie recipe to use at our Annual Ladies Banquet at church, this looks wonderful, I think the girls will really like it. We going to do a test run this weekend, for taste, ease of making and cost effectiveness.

- BeWiseAlso
posted May 7th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

This googled post alone just based on the concept of what you came up with and the beautiful execution made me want to become a reader. Props on such a beautiful dessert, I will surely stay tuned =)

- Erica
posted August 10th, 2011 at 6:53 am

We LOVE this and just shared it on our page. You had me at Vanilla Honey Marshmallows. Mmm.

Dina from Deliciously Darling Events