Mini Apple Spice Muffins

Saturday, January 21, 2006

mini apple spice muffins
I recently found myself craving cute little muffins… which is really no new desire in my book. The odd part was I really wanted apple muffins.

I’ve always claimed to not be into cooked apples. I’ve only appreciated apple pie with Sweets’ offered bites.

This lack of desire over cooked apples would perplex my German friends when I was a kid. They were very keen on me being an American, and encapsulating all the stereotypical American desires. They couldn’t quite grasp that I didn’t like Kool-Aid, or apple pie and wasn’t crazy about hot dogs and 4th of July.

But taste buds change and I’ve found a place in my heart for cooked down apple flavors in the form of mini spice muffins…

Mini Apple Spice Muffins

Heat oven to 425 F.

Toast 1/2 cup of walnuts or almond slices in the oven till just golden.

mini apple spice muffinsCombine in a saucepan over medium heat:

• apples, grated including skin 2
  • brown sugar 1/2 cup
  • butter 1/4 cup
  • salt 1 tsp
  • cinnamon 1/2 tsp
  • nutmeg 1/2 tsp
  • clove 1/4 tsp
  • allspice 1/4 tsp

Bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and lower the heat. Gently simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in:

• milk 1/4 cup

Combine well, then stir in:

• egg, one*

Combine in a bowl the dry ingredients:

• cake flour 2 cups
  • baking powder 1 Tbs
  • baking soda 1/2 tsp

Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredients and mix till combined. Stir in the toasted walnuts.

Spray the insides of your mini muffin pan with non-stick spray (or brush lightly with 1 part oil 2 parts lecithin). Fill muffin wells with batter and bake at 425F for 10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick removes with only 2-3 crumbs adhering.

Makes 16 tall mini mufflins.

* I substituted one eggs worth of powdered egg whites (2tsp) and 1 tsp of lecithin, because I need to go to the store and get eggs… :)

posted January 21st, 2006 at 12:51 pm

Yum! I love how tall they are.

• Me too, I was pretty surprised as the apple butter sugar mix is pretty wet. I filled the muffin wells to the top and they liked it!

- Nic
posted January 22nd, 2006 at 5:52 pm

They look so delicious. That height is impressive!

posted January 24th, 2006 at 8:23 am

Hi there–You know, palates do change…I’m going thru exactly what you’re going thru, and it’s so elemental and fundamental, I think it’s hormones. I’ve NEVER tolerated/craved/wanted baked fruit desserts…what’s the point when there’s chocolate? But just in the last few months, I’ve been more open to such things. I have no idea why. I’m growing up?

Anyway, your muffins do sound wonderful! It’s a very different recipe, as far as how it’s mixed together. And the grating of the apples is a good way to ease people like us into the apples!

posted February 18th, 2006 at 2:19 pm

[...] Last night I went to bed hungry and dreaming of apple spice pancakes. I loved how well my apple spice muffins turned out and wondered about using a similar apple technique of grating the fruit into pancake batter. [...]

posted October 28th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

I was surprise to see the recipe call for 1Tbp of baking powder – it seemed like alot, but the muffins came out ok. They were a little dense, but it might be because I used all-purpose flour instead of cake flour.
I added a crumb topping made of butter, flour and brown sugar mashed together with a fork

You’re right Katie, that does seem like a lot. I’m going to make these up this week with just a tsp of baking powder and see how that works.

- katie
posted October 24th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I’m wondering what to do w/the toasted walnuts…??? Did I miss a step in the recipe that called for them?

Christy- you’re hired! I just added them in, though I think you knew what to do with them ;)

- Christy