Thom’s Hot Buttered Rum

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Hot Buttered RumOne more drink to add to the list of holiday liquid ambrosia: Thom’s amazingly good, warming tonic to heal that which ails you, aka Hot Buttered Rum.

This isn’t that premade Tom and Jerry’s Batter… I know this Thom! Hot Buttered Rum is his Christmas specialty, a great drink to add to Thom’s repertoire.

Warning, this drink is known to make those who drink it feel especially warm. As in clothing removing warm…

Thom’s Hot Buttered Rum

Hot Buttered RumMelt 1 lb of butter with the following combination of spices:

• 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Allow to steep over very low heat for 5-10 minutes, or even leave to sit off the heat over night.

In a mixer, combine the melted butter and spices with 2 lbs of brown sugar, a pinch of salt, and 2 eggs. Whip together for 10 minutes.

Pour the batter into lidded containers and refrigerate.

To assemble a drink:
- spoon one whopping tablespoon of batter into a cup. Add about 1/2 cup boiling water and stir to dissolve the batter.
- add your preffered amount of rum.
- and top off the cup with more hot water.

McAuliflower’s variation:

- add one split vanilla bean and the zest of one orange to the melted butter, along with the spices.

posted December 27th, 2005 at 11:34 pm

Oh, that sounds awfully tasty… I’ve never had hot buttered rum, but I’m decidedly tempted to try :)

- Anne
posted December 29th, 2005 at 7:56 am

I love cold weather cocktails. Thanks for the recipe.

posted December 29th, 2005 at 10:09 pm

[...] Hot buttered rum mix with flour and baking soda equals great cookies! [...]

posted January 20th, 2006 at 5:27 am

Oh..oh my. We recieved a bottle of good rum a few weeks ago and I put the recipe to use last night. (I had to cut everything in half as I was almost out of butter.) Still–it was wonderfully creamy, spicy and all-around good. This one is a keeper!
When I get more butter I’ll have to try the cookie version.

- Layla
posted December 27th, 2006 at 12:59 pm

We know this Thom too! my husband keeps forgetting to go to the holiday poarty and every year he says “Darn! (or something close to that)! I missed Thom’s hot buttered run again!” Now we can try it ourselves at least. here’s to next year!

Small world… needless to say, it was quite excellent!

- laura hisrich
posted November 19th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

We just pulled up this recipe, made the paste and made hot drinks in 15 min. AND..it was WONDERFUL! I DID add a teaspoon of vanilla to the pot as I melted down the paste. Also, after mixing the drink it may need to be strained because the spices tend to hang on the surface of the mug. Pour into a clear glass mug, add a pad of butter, and a couple of cinnamon sticks for presentation & its a perfect after dinner-party finale!

- Nita & Chris