fudgy brownie goodnessI‘ve been brewing a very special relationship with Framboise Lambic this winter season. It’s become a drinkable dessert of choice. One that when consumed in 2 pints, allows one to forget about the stresses of the day. Us cheap dates have it easy this way!

Lambic is a surprising class of beer. It is made by spontaneous fermentation, picking up particular wild yeast strains and bacteria that like the air nearby Brussels Belgium. It also utilizes a secondary fermentation that takes place in the bottle, much like the Chmapagne method. Popular in the United States are the fruit lambics that have whole fruit macerated with a blend of young Lambic. This addition of fruit tends to boost the alcohol levels too, in a teasing way that totally sneaks by you.

The fruit flavors one is likely to encounter in this class of beer are raspberry, currant, cherry, and peach. They all yield a champagne like product that ranges in color from orange to red to deep purple. I tend to liken most fruit lambics to adult Sweet Tart candies. They’re sweet, tangy, a little bit sour, often dry, but not too sweet.

Given how similar Lambic is to Champagne it is a favorite of mine to spring on those who claim to not like beer… which happened to be my introduction to this drink 10 years ago (in my young drinking days).

Your unsuspecting lambic newbie will likely be knocked onto their tush with their first sip!

The following recipe combines fudgy brownie with the slight sweet tang of Lindemans Framboise Lambic. This brownie is dense and fudge like. Its a touch lighter in color than most brownies, probably because of the lack of cocoa powder, however, it isn’t lacking in cocoa taste!

Fudgy Framboise Lambic Brownies

this recipe originially came from a pomegranate display that included brochures of Pom Wonderful brand pomegranate juice recipes. Their version calls for pomegranate juice to be boiled down into a syrup with sugar and added to the brownies. I have a feeling that my kitchen will be seeing that version soon!
fudgy brownie Lambic goodness

Preheat your oven to 350°F.
In a pan over low heat, or in a microwave melt:

• 1/2 cup, or one stick of unsalted butter
  • 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut in small pieces

Remove from heat and stir in:

• 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Set chocolate mixture aside allowing to cool briefly, about 5 minutes.
In the meantime, grease a 13″ x 9″ glass baking dish, and set aside.
To the now cooled chocolate mixture add:

• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 Tbs vanilla extract

Stir till combined then stir in:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour

Now add your bits:

• 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or almonds
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pour the batter into the prepared glass baking pan and drizzle 1/4 cup of Framboise Lambic over the top of the batter and swirl in with a knife.

Cook in the lower third of your 350°F oven till toothpick comes out almost clean, with some chunks attached, approximately 25-30 minutes.

Allow the brownies to cool slightly, about 10 minutes, and then begin to drizzle a total of 1/3 cup of Framboise Lambic over the top of the brownies. Don’t do this all in one take, drizzle a couple tablespoons at a time, allowing the lambic to soak in between drenchings.

Cool the brownies completely and then cut into squares.

Enjoy!

Tagged with , , and .

posted December 19th, 2005 at 1:47 pm

WOW! This is so creative! I love lambic, and rest assured, if I had some in my cupboard right now, I’d be making these tonight! The POM ones sound fabulous as well. Merry Christmas to you, McAuliflower, I’m off for vacation tomorrow!

posted December 21st, 2005 at 7:15 am

I have a friend who swears buy Guinness brownies. I have been meaning to make them,but think I am better suited for reading tons of creative food blogs. :)
PS:
They look SO good.

• I’ve had chocolate stout cake at thanksgiving that was amazing. It didn’t taste of beer at all- just uber chocolatey! I tried making a batch of cupcakes after that using beer in the batter- and it definitly didn’t work! Eating those cupcakes actually gave me beer burps!

posted December 21st, 2005 at 7:09 pm

They look great, have to give them a try, thanks.

- Jack
posted January 28th, 2006 at 11:38 am

I made these last weekend–they were amazing and disappeared quickly! So so good. I love that there are nuts & chocolate chunks in it too. At first I thought it would be overkill, but they were perfect.
Nicely done.

• thanks. I still haven’t made them with other flavors yet. I think this recipe would work well with any fruity liquid, alcoholic or not. Looking at Lovescool’s champagne brownies has me wondering about that pairing too.

thanks again for the feedback

- Kate
posted August 13th, 2006 at 1:58 am

I’m lucky enough to live in Brussels, Belgium, where raspberry beer is my favourite summer-time drink. And it’s cheaper than water in cafés! These brownies are AMAZING. We may have got the proportions slightly askew (not used to cup measurements) but the result went down a treat. Can’t wait to have an excuse to do them again…

- eurohannah
posted June 18th, 2007 at 9:56 am

I LOVE YOU for posting this recipe!!! I made these yesterday for mu husband for Father’s Day and there are sooooooo unbelievable. I love them cold, and I love them slightly warm with ice cream, and I love to just look at them and tell them how much I love them

Yea- glad you enjoyed them so much! I haven’t made them in awhile, I may have to make cherry lambic ones.

cheers

- A. Kellers
posted February 14th, 2008 at 11:23 am

[...] First, some incredible Framboise Lambic Brownies, inspired by McCauliflower’s delicious, chocolatey recipe. [...]

posted February 14th, 2008 at 11:40 am

Just made these! They came out beautifully and were a huge hit at the office for Valentine’s Day.

I think my favorite part was opening up the lambic. It makes the entire kitchen smell wonderful.

posted March 10th, 2008 at 9:08 am

I made these over the weekend – AMAZING! The lambic makes the tops of the brownies really fudgy, almost like they’re frosted, but not really – hard to explain, but sooo easy to eat! Thanks for posting!

- rachel