End of Month Egg on Pizza

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

egg on pizza goodnessThis cute little egg trick was picked up from two coinciding forces… Tony Bourdain’s No Reservations show and Alice Waters’ Cafe Cookbook.

Sweets and I have made No Reservations our Monday night ritual. I recently forced Bourdain’s books on him, and now Sweets gets to remind me about all the funny bits I forgot. Watching No Reservations is just the frosting on the Bourdain cake… sharp funny sarcastic humour all wrapped in the sheer love of good food made by interesting people. It also helps that Bourdain does confirm Sweets’ opinion on the worst food out there… the putrified shark meat with Brenivin chaser. Any meal that requires a hard alcohol flush with each bite has got to make you wonder!

egg on pizza goodness
Both Bourdain’s show (the New Jersey one) and the Chez Panisse cookbook feature a pizza that has an egg cooked on the top surface. I followed the cues of Waters’ accompanying pizza ingredients and dressed this one up awefully pretty: red bell pepper, prosciutto strewn about, and chunks of zucchini, all on a dressing of garlic and olive oil. The pizzas are pulled out half way through cooking and the egg cracked on top, sprinkled with pepper and returned to the hot oven to cook through.

We broke the yolk before tearing into our personal pizzas, its orange goodness running over the surface. Sweets initiated the yolk piercing move, with the added flare of holding the pizza verticle to help distribute its goodness across the whole pizza.

Ahhh another item to add on to the listing of excellent ways to eat eggs. And to think I was contemplating going vegansigh.

posted August 31st, 2005 at 10:17 pm

My husband and I first had a pizza topped with prociutto and gooey egg in France – it was heavenly. We even visited the same restaurant for this exact pizza the next 2 times we were in Paris. Simple but SOOOO good!

- Cin
posted September 1st, 2005 at 12:33 am

I love how the yolk is orange – not watery yellow or pale yellow, or even dark yello – it’s orange. Just like it should be!:-) Nice looking pizza!

posted September 2nd, 2005 at 3:17 am

I LOVE eggs on pizza. You can check out my version here:
Yours looks divine!

posted September 2nd, 2005 at 7:04 pm
  • Given that I don’t know this relief effort, likely won’t be giving to their organization at this time.

Giving aid to displaced workers is important. However I recommend that aid be given for immediate basic needs first, to all individuals regardless of their class or occupation.

Thanks though Jilian, for bringing this to my attention. I may revisit this particular charity in the coming months.

I challenge other food bloggers to give aid to those who worked in the food industry and made New Orleans so flavorful:

New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund A fund has been established to benefit employees of the hospitality industry of the Greater New Orleans area who have experienced hardships because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Contributions may be sent to:

New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund
Greater Houston Community Foundation
4550 Post Oak Place, Suite 100
Houston, TX 77027
Call 713-333-2200 for additional information

Greater Houston Community Foundation

posted September 6th, 2005 at 7:31 am

Egg yolk on pizza? eeeeeyuk. But hey, you never know until you try it

• I’ve come to think just cooked egg yolk on anything will be good! ;)

• posted September 6th, 2005 at 9:55 am

One of my European grad student friends does this all the time… on frozen pizzas. He just cracks one on before putting it in the oven. Yours looks great, though!

posted October 4th, 2006 at 2:16 am

you could still be vegan by making the \”egg\” out of a slice of mozzerella and a piece of yellow bell pepper!

which totally makes me want to create art on my next pizza.

• I love this idea Coral! I\’ve seen the Surreal Gourmet make \”eggs\” using half of a canned apricot for the yolk. I can\’t remember what he used for the white… maybe pudding?

– McAuliflower

- Coral
    posted November 3rd, 2008 at 10:08 am

ok being a bit of a moron doesn’t really help, but whenever i try this little treat i almost always manage to undercook the egg. any longer in the oven and i will burn the pizza. any tips? i think i might fry the egg first but that sort of feels like cheating.

Huh- that is perplexing.

Maybe try switching your heat to finishing off with the broiler- and thus directing the heat to the top- where the egg is.

Another thought- make sure to warm up your egg before you crack it open onto your pizza. Let it rest in hot water till it is no longer cold to the touch from the refrigerator.

Hope this helps!