Bagel Dogs

Friday, August 19, 2005

sit up and begI did a fair amount of babysitting growing up. My two younger brothers are 10 and 8 years younger than me, so they gave me good training for keeping my ground with little boys. Once the word got out that I wasn’t afraid of babysitting little boys, even multiples of them, I found myself with a number of steady jobs. Something about the AirForce and pairs of brothers two years apart…

One of the things I enjoyed about babysitting was the exposure to different kitchens and the associated food complexities exhibited there-in. I was a self described food anthropologist (not a snoop)! Some families were all about healthy eating with out any hidden junk food stashed away in a high cubboard. Some families doled out the poor kids confiscated Halloween candy to make it last the entire year.

One of my favorite families introduced me to BagelDogs not too long after my first bagel. BagelDogs came individually packaged and were stored in the freezer. They fit into the realm of pop it in the microwave cooking, and more importantly were good grasp-food for kids. I’ve continued to think of those dogs over the years; they were one of my first examples of food ingenuity. My BagelDogs were before cereal and candy manufacturers went crazy offering bigger and brighter and newer offerings. In my mind they were inspired.

With my run of bagel making last week, plump little images of hot dogs danced through my head. With my bagel-hole-angst in check I tried my hand at making my own BagelDogs, and found that they are even easier to make than bagels! No hole plunging, no dough unwinding, their formation was simple and intuitive. I think kids could handle this dough project as easily as the resulting product. And did I mention they’re tasty? Though watch out- these doggies remain hot for awhile after cooking! Since these dogs cook in the oven, they are well suited for party situations when you want a large number of servings to finish simultaneously.

good boyGarlic Onion Bagel Dogs

Our favorite tested combination of dog flavors is a sauted onion with garlic combo, though these dogs are just as good plain.

Set yourself up to make the dough recipe from the Mini Bagel entry. One batch of Mini Bagel dough wraps four dogs.

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Since Bagel Dogs are a rather self-contained unit, they don’t lend themselves to toppings very well (they are very well suited for dunking though). I took this as an opportunity to inject flavor into the dough preparation: saute enough sliced or minced onions to yield 1/2 – 3/4 cup of cooked onion. Add the cooked onion to the liquid phase of the bagel dough and continue to combine in the food processor.

Check the feel of the dough for proper flour to moisture level and adjust accordingly (the dough shouldn’t be sticky but kind of shiny and plastic looking). Allow the dough to sit covered for 5 minutes.

roll overDivide the dough into four equal parts and roll out each part into a snake that is twice as long as your chosen hot dog. With a rolling pin, flatten the dough snake in both directions- lengthwise and widthwise. Place your hot dog at one end of the flattened snake at approximately a 45 degree angle. Roll your dog, wrapping it up with the bagel dough, allowing the dough to overlap about 1/2 inch as it twists along the dog.

Set your finished dog aside and continue with the remaining three dough snakes.

When finished rolling, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the dogs in batches of two for 3 minutes each. Remove the bagel dogs carefully with tongs or a straner to a lined cookie sheet (I always use silpat). Sprinkle the dog with salt and dehydrated garlic sprinkles. Bake in the oven at 425-450F till the dough is golden.

Remember these dogs remain quite hot for awhile, so cut them in half to aid cooling. Also, these Bagel Dogs can be oven cooked half way to be cooked off at a latter time (Hmmm, finished off on the grill?). Fully cooked Bagel Dogs freeze well and microwave well too.

Enjoy!

posted August 19th, 2005 at 7:38 pm

Too cool! This is a great idea – I’ve heard of pigs in a blanket before but this just takes it 10 steps ahead! Nice job!

posted August 20th, 2005 at 3:31 am

I love the idea and thanks for the very specific directions.

- Ruth
posted August 21st, 2005 at 12:05 pm

Grilled bageldogs! That sounds delicious, I’ll have to try it next time I have decent dogs in the house (think they oughta be Kosher, just to be thematically correct?) and a hankering for bagels.

~km

• Though I’m not Jewish, and not particularly religious, hot dogs are a realm where I don’t mind the intrusion of religion into my life ;)

posted August 22nd, 2005 at 5:48 am

Those look great and Nicholas would love ‘em! I remember my sister’s babysitter making Fried Bologna. Yum.

posted August 22nd, 2005 at 3:51 pm

Wow, Bageldogs! I used to love these as a kid–it was one of the few truly delicious frozen junk food-type things that was kosher, so we had them all the time. We’d microwave them first, then pop em in the toaster to get a little crust action. Heaven. Hmm, maybe that’s how I got so fat growing up: in retrospect, it probably wasn’t the best after-school snack.

posted September 20th, 2005 at 11:01 am

Oh how I miss those frozen Hebrew National bagel dogs! I was so thrilled to come across your recipe! Thank you so much for bringing this to the world wide web..now please get Hebrew National to bring them back into the local stores again! :)

- Colette
posted October 3rd, 2005 at 4:18 am

I had never heard of these before seeing Kathy bake them recently. Truly, a revelation: s’kat and the food: Bagel Dogs!!
Thank you so much for introducing me to such a treat!

• I’m glad they were so thoroughly enjoyed!

posted February 7th, 2006 at 1:26 pm

THAT IS TOO FUNNY..I was at home the other day trying to think of something fun for the kid’s to eat and than I rememberd that as a kid I was at a jewish friends house and his mom made bageldogs. the first time I had ever had them and the last time. such a long time ago.and now my kids can have them too. THANK YOU..
GEORGE

- GEORGE
posted November 2nd, 2006 at 3:32 pm

BAGELDOGS!!! hahahaha I do remember bageldogs QUITE well. I begged my mom to get them, and HUGE surprise: she actually did!! (We were the strictly whole wheat bread and natural peanut butter with raw honey sandwich family)

I was so… let’s say enthusiastic about them I ended up choking at school on it. One note: the himleck (?!) manuever is NOT international. It’s not even national.
I was truely choking so all that came out of my mouth was a low hiss when I tried to speak. No one knew I was choking, so I had to give myself the himleck manuever myself on the water fountain. I mean, I was starting to blackout even.
I thought this a pretty impressive feat for a 4th grader. Thank you Girl Scouts!!!

Now I see them and laugh and chew very very carefully.

- Coral
posted December 26th, 2006 at 6:51 pm

I have to tell you I came across this post because I am on a quest to track down bagel dogs now since I have not been able to locate them at grocery stores, convenience stores, or even warehouse stores. I might get desperate enough to try making them myself too!!!

Enjoy they are a great part of my youth too!!!

- Ethan
posted January 7th, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Schwan’s has a pretty decent bagel dog. My kids LOVE them! I have never had the Hebrew National ones, so I don’t know how they compare but these have cheese dogs in them instead of regular dogs and everybody knows cheese makes everything better. ha!

- Angie
posted May 7th, 2007 at 8:11 pm

I can’t thank you enough for this recipe! I have recently moved to Australia from Portland, and no one here has even HEARD of bagel dogs. I can’t wait to make them, thus enlightening the people of Australia while simultaneously satisfying my craving.

posted May 25th, 2007 at 9:28 pm

My husband loves these, but I am tired of buying them. I’m anxious to try this recipe out. Thanks.

- Amy Grinde
posted June 27th, 2007 at 6:49 am

Where would a person purchase bagel dough to make the bagel dog aor can you purchase them already made? thank you vicki Null

You make the bagel dough for the dogs Vicki. Its quite easy -I recommend it.

It would make sense to me to ask a bagel shop if they sell dough.

- vicki null
posted January 17th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

[...] guys started arriving, and I got to work making up the dough. Luckily, Mcauliflower’s description of the recipe was very easy to follow, along with an ever-so helpful photo of the encasing process. [...]

posted February 13th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

McAuliflower- I’m getting ready to have my kitchen re-done next week, so my husband is having his last poker game (for the next 3-4 weeks).

As before (s’kat), I’m goin’ out strong with this kitchen and festive men-folk with your awesome bagel dogs. I’m eating one right now… so great! Thanks again, as this is something I never would have tried had I not seen your exuberant and detailed postings.

Thanks for the kind words Shelley. I’m glad you’re enjoying them too. :)

posted March 4th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

YEAH!!! ever since Market Days stopped selling these and sold the mini ones I have been upset with them. Now I will just make them myself and freeze them for later….

- Brian
posted June 9th, 2008 at 10:48 am

Thanks so much for posting this! I live in a household of pigs-in-blanket men, I hope to convert them all to bagel dog afficianados tonight. I just can’t get into the “sweet bun hotdog thing”. Walmart has a vendor selling these bagel dogs, I had one a month ago and couldn’t get the “yum” out of my mind. I hope regular flour will work, I don’t have any gluten on hand…
THANKS

posted June 9th, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Where do I get bagle dogs?

- tim
posted July 3rd, 2008 at 3:49 pm

My dad needs the do resape.We need it for 4 of July.Pleaes E-mail me the resipe.Thax a lot.

Megan- the dough recipe is linked in this comment and up above in the bagel dog recipe. Go have your dad read this webpage. I think he’ll be able to find the recipe easily.

Good luck- I think you’ll have fun with it!

- Megan Iwanski
posted August 4th, 2008 at 10:14 am

I’ve made pigs in a blanket for years and my kids love them. We also love Bagel Dogs and the ones from Schwanns are getting very expensive. I don’t know why I didn’t think about making my own before. DUH!

So, I’ll be trying these today and if they work well, I’ll be making DOZENS of them for my frozen dinner exchange group. We have 12 ladies who participate and it’s fun to have an emergency back up meal always in the freezer.

I’ve used the Kraft Parmesan Cheese in my Pigs-in-a-blanket dough for years and it adds a nice taste to the dough (I’m usually a Parm snob but this kind is perfect for dough). I’ll be doing some Parmesan Cheese Bagel Dogs today. Thanks for the recipe!

- Cynthia
posted October 28th, 2008 at 10:44 am

just made 4 for lunch.. sesame, poppy, cheddar, and onions/garlic/sesame/poppy

turned out great.. i found more flour was needed and the baking time needed to be increased (~5-7m longer)

- mg
posted February 22nd, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I was craving a bagel dog! I can’t find them around anywhere, so I tried this recipe…Fantastic!! Thank you for your brillance.

- Geekgirl
posted January 23rd, 2010 at 1:42 pm

This is the best! my husband and three children and mother love this. I thiught I lost the recipe and I finally found it again! It took me three hours and this is the only one that is any good! It is awesome! thank you from our family

- Amy
posted April 19th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I love these! I used to get them at the Teitler Deli when I lived in New York, but haven’t had one since then. Thanks for the recipe!

- JJ
posted March 30th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Cash & Cary in Clackamas Oregon sells them. $29.99 for a box 0f 16. Wikipedia says ” Bagel dogs are commonly available for purchase at prepared-food concession stands and frozen in grocery stores in the greater New York City, Chicago, and Cincinnati areas, but are more difficult to find elsewhere.”

- VoD
posted July 1st, 2012 at 6:50 am

Have made bagel dogs plenty of times but your method of wrapping dogs in bagel looks much easier then taking a flat piece of bagel dough, putting dog in and trying to wrap it around. Will definitely try it out next time I make myself a few.

- Arye
posted October 14th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I think this is among the most important information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers