Homemade Iced Mocha

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Make it Yourself! Cold coffee drinks are a must have for summer enjoyment. They come in many flavors and can be made sweet as melted ice cream or just as straight up coffee. My iced coffee addiction is supplimented by the many coffee shops by my house and work, a few of which have taught me some nice coffee tricks.

Most coffee shops make their drinks in two main varieties, coffee based or espresso based. Full City makes up their drinks with a delicious third option- the toddy coffee. Toddy coffee is a cold water based extraction process that offers a coffee product that is concentrated much like espresso. Toddy coffee is less acidic, and doesn’t have the bitter taste that traditionally brewed coffee can often have. Sometimes the toddy coffee option isn’t clearly stated on coffee house menus. Next time you order a coffee ask if you can have a toddy.

Our neighborhood Beanery offers flavored syrups for sale, and also gallon jugs of toddy coffee concentrate, called Java Juice. Java Juice is used in proportions similar to that of espresso. It can be diluted with hot or cold water or milk. Keeping a jug of this in the refrigerator has been our secret weapon for the last week’s scorching weather. Toddy coffee is a versatile asset to have in any coffee lovers home!

homemade mocha

TODDY COFFEE MOCHA
Mix together:

Pour over ice and top with whipped cream.

ICED MAPLE COFFEE
Mix together:

• 2 oz toddy coffee
  • 8 oz of cold milk
  • 1- 1 1/2 oz of maple syrup

Pour over ice (coffee ice cubes if you’ve feeling particularly smart) and top with whipped cream.

posted July 21st, 2005 at 6:49 pm

A coffee shop near me, The Coffee Bean and Tea leaf, sell “coffee extract”, which is double strength coffee, that can be used similarly to make iced coffees at home. I like the sounds of that maple one. It seems very Canadian to me. =)

- Nic
posted July 23rd, 2005 at 5:26 pm

I had to go to Starbuck’s yesterday. I am in Southern California and my car thermometer was showing 102 and Jason has a t-mobile account, and I had to send a couple of emails. I had limited time, and … well none of this is an excuse.

Entertained myself by asking for a “medium” iced tea … they pointed to the sizes and asked if I meant tall, grande or venti. Then I promised myself that the next time (if ever) I have to go into one I will take my own “I made it myself” mug and make them fill that. Tee hee!

• It’s so cool that you bought one 9 of my mugs Jen! I love using them at work… they’re good attention getters :) After playing with making mochas, I’ve been thinking about putting up some of the subversive *$ stickers on Cafe Press.

- jen
posted July 24th, 2005 at 12:23 am

I, too, am in Eugene. Which beanery carries Java Juice? Must have!

• Hi Avery- glad to have a Eugenean chiming in! We bought our jug o’ Java Juice at the Beanery on 24th and Hilyard. They show them off in the glass case. Sweets can’t remember how much it cost… I’m thinking around $15 (for 64 servings!).

- Avery
posted March 28th, 2006 at 2:32 pm

I ran across Java Juice Extract online. Go to http://www.javajuiceextract.com. I recently bought some at the local coffee shop (groundwork coffee) in venice, ca . I love this stuff…quick and easy.

- Jay
posted April 14th, 2006 at 6:51 pm

HI _ the Java Juice website is about to offer sexy packages of ten
in a craft tube- perfect mom and father’s day gifts
for people who love Organic Kosher coffee but don’t have time to brew it!
Brownie Points its hepper than hep. Go to our site and click on Where to Buy.
a.kanro queen of cups.