Only in Eugene?

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Human Cheese I love reading the personals in the back of the Eugene Weekly. There are some really cute ads, and its a good way to keep a finger on the pulse of our fair city. Actually, I read it in hopes that I will be SEEN in the I Saw You section… but really, who doesn’t read it for that reason?

I kid you not, this request came in this week’s edition. It was correctly categorized to the Alternatives Section…

Human Cheese Help

posted July 18th, 2005 at 7:58 am

I thought I had seen the weirdest cheese in London when I saw anarcho-cooperative vegans making cheese with seaweed! but I guess not!!

posted July 18th, 2005 at 10:08 pm

- Sam
posted July 20th, 2005 at 10:42 am

LOL! That is crazy! I love the part that says “Prefer raw vegan fed donors”. Even human cheese makers need standards I guess. :D

Hi Samantha!
I’m glad to see that you’ll be helping host futureBlogging by Mail events. Its a great idea in these dreary mail times we live in!

posted July 20th, 2005 at 4:27 pm

wow. I am speechless. I can’t say it would make very good cheese.

- Lyn
posted July 21st, 2005 at 1:39 am

Spooky. I’ll stick to the cow and goat cheese that’s available..

posted July 21st, 2005 at 9:49 am

I’m new (2 months) to Eugene and love it, and just had a friend visiting from DC. Both of us are “Eugene types,” but when she pointed this out in the paper, I kinda felt embarrassed…

• Ohh don’t be embarrassed Kim! :) Such is the uniqueness of hailing from Eugene.

- Kim
posted July 21st, 2005 at 10:46 am

A couple interesting points have come out on this thread at craftster.

- From On Food and Cooking, a comparison of the compositions of various milks shows that human milk is generally lower in protein than other animals’ milk.
milk comparisons

Was wondering how this would affect the cheese structure.

- it was brought up that some cultures make cheese out of breast milk as a natural transition to solid food for babies. I think that’s pretty cool. If I knew that this was the intent of the request for breast milk- I would be more alright with it.

- it was also brought up that breast milk tastes like melted vanilla ice cream! I wish the On Food and Cooking chart would have listed sugar content in the various milks.

- the lovely Dan Savage has a write up on human breast milk cheese. Its mentioned that it takes 10 lbs of milk to make 1 lb of cheese.

Ah, humans. What a wacky bunch… we’ll suckle at animal tits as adults, but we draw the line at our own kind.

posted July 22nd, 2005 at 9:19 am

Yeah, I saw the raw vegan thing and thought perhaps this is a joke. But many years of restaurant life has shown that people are remarkably adept at reconciling inconsistencies in their diets. Like the “vegan” who orders calamari, substitute marinara for aioli because he can’t eat the eggs, or the “vegan except for bacon” person I know.

It’s unfortunate that people feel a need for labels. Eat what you feel like eating, don’t make an announcement of it because nobody (except for yourself) cares.

posted July 24th, 2005 at 3:27 pm

haddock:

or the “vegan except for bacon” person I know

You know Lisa Loeb? :)

[seriously, I am not mocking her or anyone. I understand what it means to crave pork fat. I just find this example to be a fun illustration.]

• Pfftttt… yes you are mocking her! But I happen to think that’s ok…

posted July 25th, 2005 at 10:16 pm

i’ve read that the bacteria found between people’s toes is the same bacteria used in making limburger cheese. perhaps that’s one of the varieties on offer…? i’m sure the makers can self-harvest.

i’ve also read that more women stop becoming vegetarian because of bacon. bacon is the kryptonite of women vegetarians, apparently.

• Brevibacterium linens? Gosh I love On Food and Cooking…Check these out:

As a group, the brevibacteriua appear to be natives of two salty environments: the seashore and human skin… are so reminiscent of cloistered skin because both B. linens and its human cousin, B. epidermidis, are very active at breaking down protein into molecules with fishy, sweaty, and garlicky aromas (amines, isovaleric acid, sulfur compounds). These small molecules can diffuse into the cheese and affect both flavor and texture deep inside.

the Surrealist poet Leon-Paul Fargue is said to have honored Camembert cheese with the title les pieds de Dieu- the feet of God.

posted February 21st, 2006 at 10:46 pm

once i collected enough of my wife’s breast milk and tried to ferment it. i make my own cheese (i have a llama and three goats), so i wanted to try it with human breast milk. it came out really waterry and soft. it had a somewhat bitter and sweet flavor. it melted well. i put it on a sandwich too.

- jon bob