Eternal Sunshine Frozen Honey Mousse I’ve overdosed on honey in the past. This was during my make bath salts and make shampoo phase of my life. I was buying essential oils to scent soaps with and also bought a small vial of honey perfume. I used it in honey oatmeal foot scrub and honey milk baths… and in the process used up my tolerance for the smell of honey. Fortunately that was ten years ago, and my cooking adventures have renewed my yen for this sticky sweet stuff. This month’s Sugar High Friday is a good reason to wake up the honey in my house, as Nic has given us the theme ingredient of honey to play with.

Honey is a marvel, a kitchen multi-tasker… though its uses aren’t limited to the kitchen. Mary Roach’s intriguing book Stiff: the Curious Lives of Cadavers, describes an ancient practice of using honey’s embalming properties to preserve the aging body of an elder. Old men would introduce honey into their diet and eventually subsist solely on honey as they prepared their bodies for the afterlife… while still alive. Honey has also been a popular embalming agent in funerary practices, for use once death has happened.

Honey also is an emollient (soothes and smoothens skin) and a humectant (promotes the skins retention of moisture), which makes it ideal to put in homemade facial products and bath soaps.

This recipe for Eternal Sunshine Frozen Honey Mousse brings the flavors of honey once again into my favorite realm for a treat this sweet- the frozen world. The chill on this dessert helps keep the sweetness of the honey from overwhelming the palate. This frozen mousse is ideal for creating an airy ice cream product without the aid of an ice cream maker. Its creamy sweetness is perfectly set in the tangy sweetness of raspberries or a simple raspberry sauce.

So get ready for the afterlife, and treat any stinging sunburns with Eternal Sunshine Frozen Honey Mousse…

Eternal Sunshine Frozen Mousse and Sunburn Salve

Eternal Sunshine Frozen Honey Mousse Over a hot double boiler (not boiling though) , whip 2 egg yolks with one pinch of salt until lightened in color to an opaque yellow white. Add 1/2 cup of light honey to the egg yolks and continue to beat till the mixture has thickened and resembles melted vanilla ice cream. Remove from the heat and place a piece of plastic film or wax paper directly on the egg mixture surface (to prevent skin formation). Chill till very cold.

Whip two egg whites till stiff and fold into the cold yolk mixture. Also fold in 3/4 cup of whipping cream whipped stiff. Spoon the mousse into desert cups with drizzles of raspberry sauce or garnished with toasted pecans or pistachios and freeze.

This dessert also makes an excellent salve for freshly sunburned skin (skip the nuts and raspberries for this use…). It’s cool and the honey helps keep your skin moist while it’s damaged. Don’t use on open wounds (duh).

posted July 15th, 2005 at 5:59 pm

Hehe, great post. I definately didn’t think of any cadaverous connotations when I picked the theme! Thanks for participating in this round!

- Nic
posted July 16th, 2005 at 8:41 am

looks so good. i love honey! of course, i don’t make any of these recipes but I love to dream of it.

- Lynne
posted July 16th, 2005 at 12:40 pm

It looks great and the recipe sounds quite easy to make!

I must try it soon especially when the weather gets hot again here.

I think our recipes for SHF are really similar. I love how you added white chocolate to your concoction. If I had any around I would have done that too as white chocolate and raspberries are a favorite combo. I made up a honey ice cream with mango lassi slush that introduced me to how wonderful mango and honey are together… I’m glad to see your recipe helps push this flavor combination!

posted July 16th, 2005 at 6:53 pm

The fragrance of honey is amazing. I have a beeswax candle I bought in Lucca years ago and it still retains the heavy/sweet scent it had on the day that I bought it from a farmer at a market. I keep it in a drawer with linens.

- kudzu
posted July 16th, 2005 at 8:33 pm

I was hoping someone would write about the preservative qualities of honey, as I had always wondered about it after hearing that an archeologist once found (somewhere in Eqypt) a child preserved in a jar of honey. What an interesting post!

posted July 17th, 2005 at 10:29 am

hiya, that was a very entertaining post ;) and a lovely looking dessert…cheers,j

- J
posted July 17th, 2005 at 2:45 pm

Hi McAuliflower – lovely picutures, as always. I often make raspberry swirl ice-cream and I’m going have to try this one too!

posted July 18th, 2005 at 8:29 am

McAuliflower that is one delicious looking sunburn salve…although I think I’d be licking it off if I used it…and that’s not good!

Thanks so much for joining in on SHF once again – it wouldn’t be the same without you!

If you can reach…
ahem! Yes, it could be licked off of others!

posted April 19th, 2006 at 8:54 am

Fianlly Dessert with a useful use. Not just for packing on pounds! lol

- Sallypally
posted August 30th, 2009 at 2:38 am

Is not spam, it is only my commercial offer. Sorry if i mistake of topic!

Buy Clomid – Best testimonials. Buy now. Satisfaction is guaranteed.
Best price for brand and generic medications.
From $0.60 per item. Free Airmail shipping for Clomid 100mg 90 tabs and save $135 on order!

posted June 18th, 2010 at 7:12 am

Возможно ли ее избежать, если нет, то как с ней справиться?Скоро родится мой ребенок, как я могу помочь ему и себе в схватках?Как делать шавасану?Как выбрать астролога?Как работать с фрилансерами?Что хотят мужчины? Советы девушкам. Семен и Алексейдолго качали. Остановлюсь на ключевых направлениях: с учительницами, с домохозяками, с любимой хозяйкой, с подругой жены, развод девченки на секс, в униформе и многое другое. Имеется в наличии довольно большое web-сайтов, где без вопросов вы имеете возможность скачать или посмотреть ролики.

- hinrustjum