Papa’s Soul Food Kitchen

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Papa’s Myspace Page: warning- automatic music

New Space for Papa

“The new, 1,400-square-foot restaurant will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Tuesdays through Thursdays, and will remain open later for regular live blues performances Friday and Saturday nights.
The new building – best known as the former Hilda’s Latin American Restaurant – is across Blair Boulevard from Sam Bond’s Garage and across Fourth Avenue from the Tiny Tavern.”- April 28th, 2006 Register Guard

Food so good- it’ll make you swoon!

Papa has taken Eugene by storm! He gave us the funky groove with his band Papa’s Soul Kitchen, and he continues to feed us just as well. Papa isn’t exactly a new one on the Eugene food scene. Once confined to a tiny food cart, once cloistered in a dark bar, Papa’s has seen the light with a fresh location that offers his great meals and sides with a new addition of cakes and pies as well.

Papa’s old store front on 11th Ave was small, a reception area for good eats, with a long cushy bench upon which to wait for your order. Just outside were several cafe style tables and chairs. We’ve eaten all of our Papa’s food on the premises, but the 11ave setup seemed ideally situated for to go orders. With parking in front of the Kitchen, and just around the corner too, we’ve witnessed many anxious happy customers toting their bags back to their cars.

The food set up here is the same good grub as at the old location. You have the option of a sandwich or a plate and with plenty of sides to choose from.

The side dishes here can almost take over the stage! The mac and cheese is old school style, dense and creamy. The yams are sweet and spiced, not too syrupy. Our recent order of red beans and rice played really well, offering a deep earthy flavor set of allspice, with just the slightest afterthought of heat.

Papa's Fried Catfish Sandwich While the sides are awefully nice, the main players know how to handle a crowd. The fried catfish always sweet talks me, and particulary likes to swim in an order of gumbo. I’ve fallen in the habit of ordering the sandwiches, as opposed to the plates. Now, I admit, I was firstly under the impression that a sandwich offering as opposed to a plate, would be a smaller portion of food. When my food was brought to me, I remembered that we’re dealing with Southern Food here… and quickly wiped the thought of small out of my head. If there’s a sure enough way to insult a Southern Mama, calling her food small would be it! No sir… these sandwiches are huge! My fried catfish sandwich contained no less than six pieces of fried fish. Sweets and I are also partial to the bbq pulled pork sandwich (Come on- who isn’t?). Sauced up awefully nice, this sandwich comes served with coleslaw in the mix. Papa’s pulled pork could serve as baby food, with the way it melts in your mouth. I can easily imagine a whole nation of toothless old men living off this ambrosia.

In a moment of ESP, Papa has taken care of a lingering question I had at his old location… what about dessert? Sure enough, Papa has a case full of sweet potato pie and various cake specials to greet you as you walk through the door. Our latest visit showcased shockingly bright red-pink slices of cherry cake keeping the pie company.

I’m looking forward to my next visits to Papa’s Soul Food Kitchen. Cause in the grand soul food tradition- I know there’s always room for more.

Papa’s Soul Food Kitchen Menu

• Potato Salad

the B’s

• Mac & Cheese
  • French Fries

this post is part of the Dine & Dish: Freshmen Project at the Delicious Life

posted July 11th, 2005 at 7:25 am

Oh my! What a wonderful find. Still another reason to move from SoCal!

posted July 11th, 2005 at 11:10 pm

wa-ow. is that the pulled pork sammich? that looks as good as or better than the ones i’ve had in memphis. what kind of sauce is used? is it the peppery vinegary variety or the smokey stuff?

Mmmm let me dig into my culinary memory… its all of it! A little bit vinegary, tiny bit smokey, with a little bit of sweet twang… drool!

posted July 12th, 2005 at 10:49 pm

hi mcauliflower! omg – you just made me LOL with this:

“Papa’s pulled pork could serve as baby food, with the way it melts in your mouth. I can easily imagine a whole nation of toothless old men living off this ambrosia.”

LOL!

thanks again for playing in this edition of dine and dish! hope you had as much fun as i did!

posted July 15th, 2005 at 1:51 pm

WOW! That pulled pig sammich looks fan-MMMMM-tastic! And that’s saying alot because I just ate lunch and am not EVEN hungry. The price is right, too. (Napoleon Dynamite voice): Lucky.

posted October 31st, 2005 at 9:22 am

Papa’s Soul Food Kitchen makes the best food on the West Coast! “The Man” keeps my taste buds ready his BBQ Ribs. All the food is great and his boys D’Lo and Dre’ are so handsome.

- Tim
posted December 13th, 2005 at 3:17 pm

I live a few blocks from here and you can believe every word of this review Pure Deliciousity my fav is the jerked chicken sammich you get like a half pound of chicken with a spicy & a lil smoky bbq sauce, Scrumtrelescent!

• yes sir-eee! They dish out huge portions! I’ll have to try your favorite, though I have a difficult time prying myself away from the catfish. Mmmm

posted January 31st, 2006 at 12:22 pm

Huge amount of food at a very reasonable price! The collard greens are the bomb….trust me, I eat 5 orders a week of them!!! Good job, Papa!

- F&T
posted April 18th, 2006 at 5:29 pm

yeah, this food is the truth- if you live in eugene and don’t hit this up then i truly have no hope for the human race. i always get the pulled pork samich. you know what—its moving locations. so im a little dissapointed, but im still going to run that

• Oh! Do you know off hand where they are moving too?
    Now I’m feeling bad cause I haven’t been in awhile! That bbq pork withdrawal is starting to give me the shakes!

- Dirty Sanchez
posted July 29th, 2006 at 3:38 pm

I would like some additional information on this eatery. It seems that the food is very tasty. I have a two-part project where I am attempting to introduce some of our young children to the art of preparing good soul food. And we are also trying to provide some information for families who are planning reunions in your area. Would you please provide me with some information on the history of the eatery and some pictures, if you can? Too often people coming into new area do not know where to find good soul food. Thanks David

- David Fields
posted February 6th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

I am from the south. I know BBQ and soul food. Papa has it going on!!! The food is Excellent!!!We first met Papa when he was in a building in downtown Eugene. I felt we had found a true treasure. We tried to talk him into opening a place in Bend, but we are so glad he now has his own place. It is a place we HIGHLY recommend. We have told all my husband’s firefighter friends about Papas!! Hopefully we will be back over to see you again soon Papa!!

- The Waalkes
posted May 14th, 2007 at 8:21 am

Best fries in the world!

- Amy
posted July 11th, 2008 at 10:54 am

OH! SPFK Pulled Pork Sandwich is SUPREME!
Best in eUgene!
That and a brew is a perfect ‘din-din’!

***** – 5 STARS

mark jaquette @
ISM & BAMmGRAPHICS

– blair blvd. food tester –

posted May 16th, 2009 at 8:53 pm

My god you guys are the best. I think I’ve tried 90% of the menu now.

- Sam