soft cooked duck eggs with warm anchovy vinegarette This month’s IMBB event celebrates the simple joy of eggs. Eggs are one of the most versatile ingredients of cooking, serving as a highlighted player, or blending into the mysteries of wonderful baked goods. As any converting vegan knows, giving up eggs in ones diet is a difficult task!

Oven Roasted Sephardic Eggs I choose the simple route for my lovely lunch this afternoon. I soft boiled duck eggs from the Eugene Farmers’ Market and ate them drizzled with warm anchovy vinegarette and green onions with toast. This is my first venture cooking with anchovies. The salty garlic flavor of the vinegaratte melds perfectly with the soft jelly like yolks of these eggs. I ate the last couple of egg quarters with a piece of toast, flipping them whites up, to even further mingle the softness of the egg with the anchovies. Two eggs make for an excellent lunch when served in this manner!

I already have a variation lined up on my to-do list… to make this recipe with Oven Roasted Sephardic Eggs, from The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen, by Paula Wolfert. Slow roasting eggs for 4-5 hours in a 225F oven gives them a gorgeous caramel marble coloration and slightly deepens the egg’s flavor.

This is a rewarding recipe that reminds me of the joys of going simple…

Seattle Bon Vivant’s Round up posted here…

Soft Cooked Eggs with Warm Anchovy Vinegarette

soft cooked duck eggs with warm anchovy vinegarette Warm Anchovy Vinegarette
Rinse and dry 6 anchovy fillets. Warm over low heat in a sauce pan, mashing the anchovies with the back of a wooden spoon. Add one clove of garlic, that has been rubbed into a paste with your knife against a cutting board. Continue to mash the mixture as it warms in the pan. Drizzle in 3 Tbs of lemon olive oil and continue to stir. Scrape the mixture into a small bowl and add 1 Tbs of wine vinegar and a grind of black pepper. Adjust the oil amount to achieve a desired thickness of vinegarette.

Preparing the Eggs
Fill a saucepan with enough water to cover four to six eggs. Bring the water to a boil and gently lower in the eggs. Turn down the heat slightly and boil for 8 minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool. Crack and peel the shells off.

To Serve
This dish is best when all the components are room temperature or warmer.
Cut the eggs into quarters. The yolk’s center will be cooked to a soft gel. Place the egg quarters on a serving plate and top with dallops of the anchovey vinegarette. Sprinkle with chopped green onion. These wonderful eggs bites can be picked up and eaten as is, or served with toast points.

posted June 25th, 2005 at 12:34 pm

Just when I thought I knew every egg technique out there–roasting! Who knew? Thanks.

- Amy
posted June 26th, 2005 at 4:29 am

Your picture are simply breathtaking! I’ve never eaten duck eggs though..should try them sometime.

posted June 26th, 2005 at 2:37 pm

Your site design is very beautiful..! And the simplicity and allure of the eggs with anchovies and green onions is just wonderful…

posted June 26th, 2005 at 2:57 pm

even though I cannot stomach anchovies since an incident that occurred after my first tasting of them about 25 years ago, this looks so delicious, that if you were to invite me round for lunch I might be tempted to give them another try.

- Sam
posted June 26th, 2005 at 10:49 pm

Wow. That looks so simple but so utterly delicious.

posted June 27th, 2005 at 3:11 am

oh my, those beautiful yolks look so creamy and perfectly done. yummy!

- J
posted June 27th, 2005 at 6:54 am

ooh – I love anchovies with everything! beautiful pics, and I will definitely try this recipe, duck eggs or normal eggs. and sam, if you’re reading this – you must give anchovies another try!!! try them first in a caesar salad dressing, then move up to a bagna cauda, and then go for my favorite – fig anchoiade!

posted June 27th, 2005 at 11:35 am

I think I must try fresh ones.
I think I will be ok with that. I hope so.
Despite the 25 years that have past, I still vividly remember the taste and embarassingly circumstances under which I was sick.
I was 14 years old off to stay with a family in france. I was a very picky eater at that age so I made a pact with myself to not be squeamish and try everything they offered me.
I arrived at the airport and I was hungry so they bought me a little pizza before our long car journey south. I remember the pizza tasted ‘funny’ (that would have been the anchovies.) So off we drive. After a couple of hours or so we stop for a break. Whislt stretching our legs we inverstiagate a neat and tidy craft barn selling corn dollies. Everything is beautifully presented with fresh sawdust covering the floor. Suddenly, with no warning, I chuck up all over the pristine floor. My embarassed new temporary family are mortified and rush me back to the car without even informing the owners of my accident. I have felt bad about it ever since.

Incidentally – I thereafter tried many first things on this trip – frogs legs, sea snails, fresh sardines, pigeon, cous cous, petit suisse, fromage blanc hollywood chewing gum and my first ever nectarine. The only thing i refusd was boiled squid. I have since learnt, of course, that squid is inddeed good, but I prefer the grilled or broiled option to boiled.

Oh… car sickness nails another food item :(
I did this with cup-o-noodle soup. I had the flu and my family was eating these soup cups around me. Twenty years later and I still haven’t had cup o’ noodles.

I’m interested in hearing more about the fromage blanc hollywood chewing gum!

- sam
posted June 27th, 2005 at 8:07 pm

Now that would be interesting but I think I just missed out a separating comma, sorry. Strawberry Hollywood chewing gum was my favourite, closely followed by cassis.

- sam
posted June 28th, 2005 at 3:31 am

I think I must try this… looks so simple and delicious! (I don’t know if I can get duck eggs though…)

posted June 28th, 2005 at 12:48 pm

Hi McAuliflower, I, too, have never tried duck eggs. The photos are inspiring. Just discovered your art as well!

I enjoyed this first taste of duck eggs… they are very similar to fresh chicken eggs. However, one interesting distinction is that we had a couple of the soft boiled eggs tasting very green. I described them as tasting and smelling like asparagus… Sweets gave me the word green to attach to the phenomenon. Apparetnly a couple of the ducks were very well fed on new grasses, maybe even nipping of the tops of asparagus? Wonderful play with terroir.

posted August 7th, 2005 at 7:58 pm

Hey I really like your site.

- grant
posted May 2nd, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Just ran across this reseaching ducks.
Peace out

- Clover
posted March 16th, 2007 at 4:51 am

Very, nice, I would love to cook duck eggs! Perhaps it’s safer to roast them than boil them for 7 minutes as they are quite prone to bacteria contamination. In Europe it’s very hard to get duck eggs for this reason. Have a look at my own roasted eggs based on the same recipe and let me know what you think! http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Display=64

- FX
posted August 12th, 2009 at 6:07 am

Wow, now that I have the duck eggs unfortunately no anchovies! I will try this next time I get some duck eggs from my friends neighbor. At least we know they are free range. For now, will hard boil remainder as already had them scrambled with cream cheese and chives.

posted August 10th, 2011 at 2:51 am

We have seven ducks out the back that haven’t laid in months, i must’ve got lazy in looking after them coz today i found thirty four eggs in their yard lol
this is why i looked up this site, i’m going to try this for dinner :)

- threadymm
posted February 7th, 2012 at 6:56 am

[...] the grassy greens of the ducks diet came through the eggs to give them an almost asparagus flavor.Recipe for Soft Cooked Duck Eggs with Warm Anchovy VinegaretteBanana Walnut 3-layer cake Image by vuturistic This six-banana cake was made with finely ground [...]

posted June 15th, 2013 at 12:13 am

It’s very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this web site.

posted February 7th, 2014 at 8:00 am

[...] Recipe for Soft Cooked Duck Eggs with Warm Anchovy Vinegarette This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged Anchovy, Cooked, Duck, Eggs, Soft, Vinegarette, Warm on February 7, 2014 by admin. [...]

posted February 12th, 2014 at 9:10 am

[...] Recipe for Soft Cooked Duck Eggs with Warm Anchovy Vinegarette This entry was posted in All About Diet and tagged Anchovy, Cooked, Duck, eggs, Soft, Vinegarette, warm on February 12, 2014 by admin. [...]

posted July 8th, 2014 at 10:26 am

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its really really nice post on building up new webpage.

posted October 8th, 2014 at 5:16 am

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks a lot