Today’s visit to the Farmers’ Market yielded quite the bounty of goodies. Raspberries and cherries are right on schedule with their fruity sweetness. Garlic is holding strong and cute curly garlic whistles are still to be found.
Broccoli and corn are getting an early start to their season, and I think I spied fava beans a week ago or so!
Canby Asparagus amazingly still has juicy bundles of asparagus, though the tangy salsas, crispy fried asparagus and fresh tortillas are now the stars of the show. With the larger burritos taking over the lunch option, sadly tacos are no longer offered. Their sauted bay shrimp with sweet onion soft tacos are a favorite of mine, especially with a stripe of their taco-variety salsa and a good pinch of lime on top. It’s a good lesson on how the sweetest and juiciest meals are often the simplest.
Eugene offers three Farmers’ Markets of produce, food and plants in addition to more artisanal markets through out the city.
- Tuesday: Farmers’ Market at the downtown blocks, 10am – 3pm, May 3rd thru October 25th.
- Thursday: Farmers’ Market at the Lane County Fair Grounds, 2pm – 7pm, June 3rd thru September 29th.
- Friday: Mercado Latino, Mexican and Peruvian food, music, fresh produce, crafts & more, downtown Eugene, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 345-0446.
- Saturday: Farmers’ Market at the downtown blocks, 9am – 4pm, April 3rd thru November 13th.
- Saturday : FFLC’s Youth Farm 705 Flamingo Ave. off Game Farm Road in Springfield and will be open from 10 am to 2 pm every Saturday June 17th through September.
- Holiday Market: Farmers’ Market at the Lane County Fair Grounds, every weekend starting November 19th until Christmas Eve.