Recipe for the Obsessive Cook

Thursday, June 9, 2005

Homemade Chocolate SyrupThere came a time in my life when I found myself no longer satisfied with buying large corporate made foods. This largely included fast food, but also means no Kraft products, and in this particular context- no Hershey’s Syrup.

This recipe is adapted from Alton Brown’s recipe for Cocoa Syrup from the Art of Darkness II: Cocoa. I round out the flavor with a touch of coffee and use honey instead of corn syrup as a secondary sweetener. This recipe comes at a time when cooks are being offered a dizzying array of specialty cocoas from all over the world. Perhaps a chocolate syrup tasting party is in due order?

Homemade Chocolate SyrupChocolate Syrup

In a sauce pan over medium heat combine:

• 3/4 cup of water
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar

Stir occasionally, helping the sugar crystals to dissolve in the water.

Bring to a gentle boil and whisk in:

• 3/4 cup of dutch processed cocoa powder
  • one pinch of salt
  • one Tbs of honey

Continue to cook allowing the syrup to reduce and thicken, 3-5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in:

• 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp of coffee extract

Allow to cool and strain into a clean squeeze bottle.

Enjoy in chocolate milk, chocolate sorbet, and any where else you would use chocolate syrup.

posted June 9th, 2005 at 9:54 pm

Mm… I just love homemade syrup. I’ll have to try Alton’s recipe when I run out of the Alice Medrich stuff I still have in the fridge!

Oh, I’ve never heard of Alice Medrich before, thanks! I’m seeing a ton of praise for her low-fat chocolate cookbook.
Your syrup recipe looks really similar to this one…

- Nic
posted June 10th, 2005 at 10:29 am

Alice Medrich’s recipes are great. And I just love her low fat cookbook. It’s sort of hard to find (I think it’s out of print), but very useful. There’s a recipe for lemon curd that only uses 1 egg! Now, I love my usual egg yolk and butter laden curd, but I was surprised at how tasty it is.

- Nic
posted June 10th, 2005 at 11:27 am

Love the chocolate syrup party idea!

posted June 10th, 2005 at 4:26 pm

oh wow. what a wonderful find. i am so thankful that you stumbled upon Nakedjen tonight and left a calling card. because now i have found you! and this fabo site with all things delectable.

and as i spend a week every summer in eugene at that wonderful fair, well, now i know where to look for places to actually eat when the fair is not on.

lovely yummy site. absolutely.

Glad you’re enjoying it! I can’t wait for the Oregon Country Fair!

posted June 13th, 2005 at 1:51 pm

Can’t wait to try this. I had just added choc syrup to my shopping list, but I’m going to make this recipe instead!

posted June 16th, 2005 at 6:17 am

Any idea on how long it will keep?

Oh, good question!

I’ve kept a bottle of this (a double batch) in an old syrup bottle for around 6 months in the refrigerator. The high sugar content helps preserve it- kid of like those ever lasting jars of jam in the fridge (I’m assuming I’m not the only one with these lurking around).

— McAuliflower

posted June 16th, 2005 at 11:20 am

what a nifty idea–I’ve long wondered how to make my own chocolate syrup–will have to try it! Thanks.

posted June 22nd, 2005 at 3:48 am

OMG
I just made this, I am eating it on vanilla ice cream right now…. mmmm

My boyf ” chocolate syrup.. You made chocolate syrup” then nothing…. except 1 clean bowl he placed in front of me.

Yay (this was after he said he was too full :) )

*grin* I just had some drizzled on frozen cherries as a healthy snack. -Delish

posted July 21st, 2005 at 2:36 pm

[...] use this chocolate syrup to make your own iced mocha [...]

posted February 17th, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Hi there, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I drink protein shakes after workouts, and the powder I like most is neutral-flavored. I’ve tried and tried to mix cocoa into the powder, add the milk and then blend, but the cocoa just won’t mix and leaves the shake all lumpy. I’m going to try making this and keeping it in the fridge for those chocolate shake cravings! Thanks!

- Jen