Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles

Monday, May 16, 2005

Chocolate Cake Batter Waffle with StrawberriesIf I was a smarter cookie I would have had a waffle iron in the dorms. My roommate and I were the kind of industrious girls who would scrape together the fantasy of rice crispy treats out of rice crispees from the cereal bar in the cafeteria… so its not like we weren’t thinking! We even had a little espresso machine, which was quite hot stuff back then, even if it scared us every time we fired it up. And yet, a waffle iron would have truly been were its at. We could have made grilled toastie sandwiches, waffles, and cake! I almost get the impression that anything can be possible with a waffle iron in hand…

Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles

This recipe is a fun way to portion out cake mix into individual servings much like cupcakes, but with a much quicker bake time. Make up your cake mix, and simply spoon into a preheated waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron’s own instructions. I found that the same waffle times worked for devil’s food cake batter.

Unfortunately I didn’t have much success with my brownie batter in the waffle iron. Sure it tasted good- crunchy and chocolately sweet, but the darn waffle wouldn’t come out! Perhaps the flour to sugar/fat ratio needs to be adjusted (but would that just turn my brownies into cake?).

Chocolate Cake Batter Waffle with StrawberriesDevil’s Food Cake Batter- tested as waffle iron approved

Whisk together:

• 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of boiling water

Allow to cool to room temperature before using.

Mix together your dry ingredients:

• 2 cups of AP flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt

and set aside.

Cream together in a new bowl:

• 1/2 cup of softened butter
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Add 2 large eggs to the butter mixture,stirring between each egg to combine thoroughly.

Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the cocoa water mixture to the butter mixture, stirring until just mixed. Batter may be stored in the refrigerator until needed.

posted May 17th, 2005 at 3:15 pm

oh goodness,
now I want a waffle iron.

lucky my birthday is coming!

- blu
posted May 18th, 2005 at 5:52 am

Lovely photo.

posted May 19th, 2005 at 7:06 am

(laughing) in my dorm days, we did pretty well with an iron and foil (toasties, shao bing–a kind of chinese scallion pancake, s’mores, quesadillas), but unless we’d mastered the art of foil origami and engineering, i think a waffle would’ve been out of the question….these look *fantastic*!

posted May 20th, 2005 at 5:34 am

Those waffles look magnificent. Something about chocolate, berries and whipped cream…YUM.
The whole non-existent-kitchen thing in dorms is what convinced me to live off-campus in my university years…a whole kitchen and I only had to share it with one guy. I was very lucky, especially since his idea of cooking was putting the beer in the fridge!

Sounds like he had it made! That is if you shared :)

posted May 20th, 2005 at 7:40 pm

I love! waffle brownies! They are the best thing. Why because they can be anything: frost with peanut butter, mint buttercream, your fabulous strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate, you name it! These little wonders are the best! Great picture!

posted May 22nd, 2005 at 7:04 am

why didn’t I think of this? the photo is good enough to eat!

posted May 23rd, 2005 at 11:21 am

Mmm… I know what I’m making for brunch, er, dessert this weekend!

- Nic
posted May 24th, 2005 at 3:37 pm

Brilliant! This suggests a new culinary goal for me: A chocolate recipe for every appliance in my kitchen!

Ohh, what a fun theme! I’m trying to think of the most challenging appliance to throw at you, but this sounds entirely do-able!
— McAuliflower

posted May 26th, 2005 at 7:05 pm

nummy!

posted March 10th, 2007 at 9:14 am

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been trying to get rid of this box cake-mix for months, and planning a breakfast in bed with my Sweetheart. This worked out perfectly!

posted September 12th, 2007 at 8:05 am

[...] Grab The Recipe! Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles [...]

posted April 5th, 2008 at 8:39 am

I was lucky enough to have a waffle iron in the dorms, and while it made fantastic grilled sandwiches, I’ve found that whenever I try to make waffles in it now, they taste like cheese.

- Karen
posted January 11th, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Good golly. And I *just* bought a box of devil’s food cake mix.

Wondering if I can make my Mickey Mouse waffle iron produce waffles that LOOK like Mickey Mouse. Now there’s an idea!

posted January 17th, 2010 at 8:09 am

That looks like a good idea.
I’m in a dorm… with a waffle iron. Looks like a great plan.
Just another idea to toss into the what can be done with a waffle iron: french toast

- Mar
posted August 1st, 2010 at 11:06 am

Sorry to say but this recipe didn’t work out for me at all! =( The waffles absolutely refused to cook properly. They stuck to the iron, on both sides. I tried to let them cook longer, same result. I even gave up in disgust last night and put the batter in the fridge and tried again this morning. No go.

I did put the bits I scraped off of the iron into a bowl and we’ve been nibbling on them. The taste is pretty good. Now I’m wondering what to do with the leftover batter. Maybe I’ll throw it into my muffin pan and see how that turns out. I’m not giving up though! I’m stubborn that way. I think I’ll make it my next mission to figure out what went wrong. Good thing I have such willing guinea pigs here to help me work out my culinary bugs. =P

It looks like you have tons of interesting recipes and ideas on your blog so I’m off to do some exploring. I have no doubt there’s something else on here that I can tackle with outstanding results.

=) Nic

- Nichole
posted July 15th, 2011 at 6:31 am

This is such a cool idea. I love that those of us with a kitchen can use it to make dessert without heating up the whole oven. I bet folks camping who have one of those campfire waffle iron things could try it too. Great idea!

posted August 1st, 2011 at 2:42 pm

[...] Recipe for Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles. batterCakeChocolateWaffles [...]

posted November 15th, 2011 at 4:04 am

[...] Recipe for Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles. [...]

posted January 6th, 2012 at 6:37 am

[...] these on Pinterest, and a bit of chasing around the internet finally located the original post at Brownie Points Blog. That’s where the picture is from, [...]

posted February 16th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

[...] Recipe for Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles. Tags: Cake, Cool, images, Recipe Tags: Cake, Cool, images, Recipe [...]

posted July 23rd, 2012 at 11:45 am

[...] Recipe for Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles. Tags: Cake, Chocolate, Cool, images [...]

posted November 22nd, 2012 at 5:07 pm

[...] Recipe for Chocolate Cake Batter Waffles. [...]

posted March 27th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Absolutely delicious! The only problem was that they were very fragile, so they frequently broke when taking them off of the waffle iron.

posted May 19th, 2013 at 8:01 pm

However, with the movie Zombieland, it was an entirely different approach to dealing with zombie apocalypse. It let go with a shriek and fell back into the masses disappearing from sight “Freeeeeeeedddoooooooooom” Jeff yelled out lustily Micah raised an eyebrow and glanced over him, “That’s all I could come up with” he grinned sheepishly. That is of course, unless it is at the expense of someone else.

posted July 10th, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Companies that fail to integrate their marketing efforts making use of their online crisis response plans before a crisis hits are allowing their antagonists have free reign. The crust varies from a cheese burst crust, classic hand tossed, ultimate deep dish or wheat thin crust. After all it is satisfying the taste buds that matters.

posted April 21st, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some. The combination of colours is amazing.