Orange Juice All Around!

Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Orange JuliusI grew up a military brat with a migratory set of summers. My childhood consisted of living in England, Germany, Texas and finally spending my high school in Arizona and Oregon, where I live now. These years were punctuated with summer vacations spent visiting relatives and grandparents in Santa Clara, California, where both of my parents grew up.

Each visit we made showed a vastly changing landscape as Santa Clara stretched and grew into what it is today. Long gone are the orchards that used to define this fertile valley my parents knew. Gone is the pumpkin patch I played in across from my Granny and Papa’s grand house.

Fortunately, several of our epicurean favorites never disappeared… glazed donuts from Wilson’s hyper-bakery, bitter-sweet hard caramel lollypops from See’s Candy, Baskin Robbins ice cream sundaes served in a plastic baseball cap and slushy Orange Julius’s from my first shopping mall. You can see my memory has a sweet tooth.

Orange Julius became synonymous in my mind with how America tasted. Vanilla-sweet and a hyperbole of flavors, an Orange Julius does the unthinkable… it makes orange juice taste, even better!

Orange JuliusOrange Julius, aka California Sunshine

Combine in a blender:

• 6 ounces of orange juice concentrate
  • 1 slight pinch of salt
  • 3 Tbs of sugar
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla
  • 2 Tbs of coconut milk powder, sifted in
  • 2 tsp of powdered egg whites, sifted in

When nice and mixed, add 10-12 ice cubes and blend till the ice is broken up into small chunks.

Serves two generously.

posted April 7th, 2005 at 3:16 am

You know, it’s funny… I wasn’t a military brat, but my parents moved us around just like you described – Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Connecticut, Puerto Rico, Greece, England… all stops on the whirlwind tour, and some more than once. So I really relate to your memories and specifically, the memories tied to ‘unchanging’ things. My Nana still lives in Edgerton, WI, where we used to spend every other Christmas, and I remember how shattered I was when the local A&W where we’d gone for foot longs and rootbeer floats with my grandparents and great-grandparents, gave way for a Culvers. It’s just not the same.

Thanks for the lovely memory and for stirring some of my own. :)

~S

posted April 7th, 2005 at 7:35 am

My favorite is when people would ask me where I was “from”. That question still makes me pause a bit. :)

posted April 7th, 2005 at 9:37 pm

there was a guy i went to college with who thought he was god’s gift to women and a supreme jerk to them at the same time; imagine my glee when i found out he worked at the orange julius in the mall and even he couldn’t make the uniform look good :-) . ever since then i’ve been quite fond of the drink. thanks for the recipe! i like that this uses powdered egg whites instead of the real gloopy stuff!

posted April 8th, 2005 at 4:27 am

Iih, I love Orange Julius! Now, where on earth to find powdered egg white and powder coconut? You just sent me on a big quest. :)

- Anne
posted April 8th, 2005 at 3:49 pm

I’ve loved my tub of powdered egg whites to emptiness… I usually use them instead of real eggs when I’m baking stuff. They really whip up to real egg whites when you add water, but I really like them because of their shelf life- they’ll last forever. I found mine in the baking section of our grocery store, by the chocolate chips.
The powdered coconut is maybe a bit trickier of a find? – Grinding the really dried out coconut flakes (as opposed to the soft really sweet ones) in a coffee grinder should work fine- and its ok if you have coconut chunkies; they’d blend in with the ice bits. :)

posted April 28th, 2005 at 5:24 pm

Looks like dried coconut milk powder might be findable in Asian/Indian markets. An online source possibility:

Powdered egg whites are easier; many big grocery stores carry them in the baking aisle. “Just Whites” is one brand I’ve used. You could also try King Arthur Flour, a reliable source of other baking ingredients:

- Penny