Kitty Grass

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Frenchie with her wheatgrassI’ve been knocked down pretty hard by a nasty cold the last couple of days.

Unfortunately food has been an after-thought of sorts, though I was lucky to have chicken soup at hand from our roast chicken this weekend.

My cat has faired a little bit better being the lucky recipient of a container of wheatgrass. We find nice little squares of wheatgrass in the produce section of our grocery store. If you have an indoor cat like I do, I heartily recommend you get your cat wheatgrass every once in awhile. Our cat loves chewing on the grass. With a light watering every three days, we can keep our wheatgrass going for several weeks.

posted April 2nd, 2005 at 11:46 am

Hi Jocelyn – I hope you are feeling better now… didn’t know you had a cat too! He/she looks so sweet, I love ones with white socks :) My cat doesn’t go out either, so he has cat grass and he loves chewing/eating too.

posted April 19th, 2005 at 5:21 am

Hi. New reader here.
I’ve been tempted to buy my cat some of that grass they sell at the grocery store, but have been afraid to because there’s some kind of warning on it that says they’ll spit it up, but it’s normal!? Does it make them puke? Why would I want that to happen? Please advise! :)

posted April 19th, 2005 at 4:00 pm

Wow, it has a warning label? That was nice of them :)
My cat has never brought her grass back up and she goes through periods where she seriously chows down on it. Though it isn’t unusual for some cats to not keep their grass down. Some people theorize that cats eat grass to help relieve upset stomachs because the grass will help them purge what ever is bothering them. But then again, my cat has never gotten sick from her grass.

If you’ve noticed that your cat has the tendency to puke easily, limit its time with the grass. Only let your cat have the grass for two minutes at a time, and then put it up and away.

If your cat doesn’t have the tendency to puke it back up, then you may be able to just have the grass around all the time.

My cat’s grass in the picture is still doing fine. I gave it a trim and occasionally soak it in water. Frenchie (my kitty) really tears at it, which has gotten me to thinking of a more optimal set up. Velcro-ing the plant container down on the floor would be good to keep the plant attached to something while your cat tears at it. Otherwise, it will probably get knocked over occasionally.

posted June 19th, 2005 at 3:05 pm

Hi,

One of the purposes of supplying your cat with a healthy cat grass is because it does help them cough up furballs. Sometimes kitties need help getting rid of all that fur that they ingest from thier constant licking and grooming.

One of the best things that you can do for your cat is to provide them with an organic safe grass.

There are also easy-to-grow kitty grasses available. You can easily grow your own and it’s fun too.

There is a great online resource call CityCats.Biz. Their website is http://www.citycats.biz

Hope this helps. The site also provides a lot of information about the importance of grass to your precious four-legged furballs.

Hope this information is useful to all of you that have questions about kitty or cat grass.

posted April 2nd, 2006 at 11:01 am

hi, we just bought our cats kitty grass and it’s long and hangs over to the floor. I was wondering if it should be trimmed so it stands straight up like most of the pics i’ve seen… plus should i water it or spray it with a water bottle.. thx Bendr

• Wheat grass is usually pretty stiff and stays upright. If it is droopy, it probably needs watering. Trimming wouldn’t hurt it either. For watering, I gently run the tap over it and let it drain in the sink, or put it in a second container. I haven’t tried watering with a spray bottle- that may work!

- Bendr
posted April 3rd, 2006 at 7:35 pm

Hello,

Typically a wheat or barley grass does mature after about two weeks. It grows long, leggy and turns yellow. What that means is that it’s time to be replaced. Kitties prefer fresh, tender grass. You can easily grow your own kitty grass and save a lot of money by doing so. CityCats.Biz is a great place to learn about grass. They offer a variety of seeds and kitty growing kits. Their ads have been in Animal Wellness Magazine. Their website address is http://www.citycats.biz

Hope this helps.

posted January 4th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Can We get a topic begun where we transfer each other our dating tips….