Sweetened Avocado on the Half Shell

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

sweetened avocado on the half shellLooking through used bookstores recently has impressed on me how strong my visual memory is from my childhood. The Silver Palate cookbook made me smile, but not as big as catching a glimpse of the blue spine of Gourmet’s Menu Cookbook. I have also run across a selection of titles from the Time Life cookbook series, Foods of the World at our campus Smith Family Bookstore. These came in sets of a hardbound book acompanied by a spiral bound recipe only book. I bought the Latin American book of recipes and promtly squirreled it away forgetting it in my collection of cookbooks.

Reorganizing my website prompted me to organize my cookbooks which again revealed this gem. I can’t wait to make Chancho Adobado (Pork in Orange and Lemon Sauce with Sweet Potatoes) and Pollo en Adobo (Chicken in Red Chili Tomato Sauce). In the meantime, this curious little recipe caught my eye: Crema de Abacate, Cream of Avocado Dessert. The resulting cream was incredibly smooth, with a tang similar to yogurt, and the mild flavor of avocado whispering through it all. I suggest adding the lime juice gradually and tasting along the way. This would also be good added to cream and frozen like ice cream.

sweetened avocado on the half shellCrema de Abacate
Cream of Avocado Dessert

To a food processor add:

• the flesh of two ripe avocados
  • 6 Tbs of sifted powdered sugar

Process until completely smooth and gradually add

• 1/4 cup of lime juice

Garnish with slices of lime

posted March 17th, 2005 at 9:24 am

Avocados with sweet things is something I have never quite wrapped my head around, though I have been interested in trying it. I recently met a Persian woman who exclusively eats avocados with a sprinkling of sugar and some milk — if I can ever get away from my standby of avos with vegesal and cracked pepper, sometimes a little chile powder, I will have to try the sweet avocado thing.

Cool pic. Would be interesting to try a rendition of this for a dinner party.

- jen
posted March 17th, 2005 at 2:51 pm

I admit, I had a time restraining myself from putting garlic in. Avocados are special items to me- don’t eat them alot. This was a fun project, something that expanded my tastebuds, but I’ll be making guacamole with my next ones!

posted May 11th, 2005 at 4:00 pm

Another great sweet recipe: scoop out an avocado and mash it up a bit with some sugar and a dash of rum. I like my avocado a bit chunky, and sometimes I do leave out the rum. In that case I just cut te avocado in two, and sprinkle the sugar over the halves as they are. Lovely!

posted May 27th, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Many raw desserts utilize avocado’s rich, creamy texture. The Artful Vegan Cookbook has a recipe for an avocado key lime tart, and Real World, Raw Food is just one of many cookbooks to have feature a raw chocolate mousse made from avocados.

great point Chrisitina. Avocados are magic in that way.

posted June 18th, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I happen to think Avocado as a dessert item is pure bliss…I also suggest trying Avocado chocolate pudding…orgasmic!

- druid
posted June 21st, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Druid, Do you have a recipe for that avocado chocolate pudding?

Just a guess- add chocolate syrup to this recipe, or to not increase the sweetness, heat up cocoa powder and water to form a puddinglike paste and stir that in.

cheers

- Babs' Friend
posted June 21st, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Druid,

That avocado chocolate pudding sounds fabulous. Do you have a recipe?

Babs’ Friend