Pomegranate Liquor

Wednesday, February 9, 2005

pomegranate liquorUpdated to add these great sounding drink recipes using pomegranate juice or pomegranate liquor:

I was inspired by my Limoncello adventures this last Christmas and decided to continue to spread the joy of fruity alcohol to my friends. Having juicy pomegranates around was enough excuse to start this recipe steeping. Unlike the limoncello, this alcohol’s flavor comes from the juice of the fruit- a large portion of it cooked. The cooking of the juice resulted in a liquor flavor that is deep and almost spicy flavored, with hints of caramel. This would be wonderful served warm, steeped with oranges and cinnamon. A raw version of this libation could be made by combining pomegranate juice, simple syrup and vodka.

pomegranate liquorPomegranate Liquor

A week ahead of your liquor’s due date, combine the fruits of one pomegranate with one cup of vodka. Store this is a dark place, and rattle around every day or so. After two days, stick a spoon in there and smoosh up the pomegranate fruits a bit, releasing their juice into the vodka. Continue to bash around every day or so for a week.

Pomegranate Simple Syrup
In a sauce pan combine:

• fruit of 2 pomegranates
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups of water

Gently simmer mixture for 20 minutes. When the sugar has dissolved, and the syrup has simmered a bit, remove from heat and bash open the pomegranate fruits with the back of a spoon. Strain the syrup mixture and allow to completely cool.

Combine with the pomegranate vodka, and add 2 Tbs of Orange Flower Water. Keep refrigerated. Is wonderful in drinks mixed with Triple Sec and fizzy water.

Cheers!

posted December 13th, 2005 at 12:29 pm

Guess you need to make this at home as I’ve gone to 3 (three) Liquor and NO ONE has heard of it!!

- Joanne
posted February 13th, 2006 at 10:33 pm

I am so making this in the next couple of days!
Would it be overkill to make the pom truffles too? Hmmmmmm….

• I don’t think so, as they are two different types of pomegranate flavor. I think the alcohol in the liquer plays up different flavor compounds, just as the chocolate would with the pomegranate juice. Or at least that sounds like a good excuse! :)

I think the pomegranate liquor would be interesting followed by a Chili Orange Truffle Chaser!

posted June 18th, 2006 at 7:31 pm

I only recently saw this liquer: Pama Pomegranate Liqueur. Search on it.

- Michael
posted October 4th, 2006 at 9:03 am

Can you use splenda instead of sugar as to keep the sugar content down?

• I\’m too sure about that substitution… as the sugar acts as a preservative too in this case.
    I\’ll ask around though…

- lyn peri
posted January 31st, 2007 at 7:56 am

Hi McAuliflower- great suggestions and ideas. Wish I’d thought of adding a bit of orange water to my cocktail (even rose water would be nice)… Here are some other cocktail suggestions/recipes you might like to try at anycoming fiesta:

Cheers and your artwork is lovely!

posted November 20th, 2007 at 8:40 am

What is orange water please… I looked all over your site.. can’t find it.

Orange Blossom Water is a purchased item. It’s distilled from orange blossoms and is often used in Middle Eastern cooking. You can often find it in the “Ethnic” section of many grocery stores, or in the smaller specialty item stores of Foreign cooking ingredients. If all else fails- you can order Orange Blossom Water from Amazon.

- Rebecca
posted November 29th, 2007 at 9:39 pm

There is a pomegranate schnapps available in the stores, but this recipe sounds much better. The schnapps is extremely sweet and has an odd flavor.

- Sillygirl
posted December 28th, 2007 at 8:12 am

I just wanted to ask, when you make the pomegranate vodka, before mixing i didnt notice anything about straining the seeds?

- Julia
posted January 18th, 2008 at 12:52 pm

I recently found Pama, a pomegranate liqueur at Sam’s Club. http://www.pamaliqueur.com/index.html?Section=

- Rachael
posted September 20th, 2008 at 7:19 am

Hi There

I was wondering if there was a shelf life to the Liqueur. I am looking to make gift baskets this year and would like to try making this in a bigger batch. This question is for both the Pomegranate and the Limoncello.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Tara

I don’t have a definitive answer on the shelf life- it will last at least a year. The alcohol and sugar will help preserve it and keep out bacteria.

When in doubt, store it in the freezer or refrigerator indefinitely.

cheers
McAuliflower

- Tara
posted November 21st, 2008 at 9:59 pm

I KNEW you would have ideas on what to do with pomegranates! I got some in my CSA box and didn’t know how to use them. This will be great in my Christmas goody boxes too! Thank you!

posted December 10th, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Hi there,

Looks like a wonderful recipe. If you were going to make the raw version you mentioned (just combining vodka, pomegranate juice, and simple syrup), how much of each ingredient would you use, more or less?

Thank you!

- Theresa
posted October 1st, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Hi. I am wondering if these are two separate recipes or are you somehow supposed to combine the two?

- Kim
posted September 15th, 2012 at 9:38 am

The sugar is needed in the fermentation process and is used up to make alcohol. If you use splena your alcohol mixture will still be alcohol just not as potent and might have some loos in mouth feel, dryness or taste.

- Kris
posted December 17th, 2013 at 5:31 am

I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite to check out new stuff you post…

posted March 2nd, 2014 at 12:58 am

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!